Sign in to follow this  

Visual Studio 2008 and Silverlight

This topic is 3045 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Quick question. Does the current version of Visual Studio 2008 Express include Silverlight or does it still need to be downloaded separately? I thought I read somewhere that it now includes silverlight, but I've done a ton of searching and I can't find info confirming or denying that. Also, if I was to begin programming silverilght, would I choose Visual Studio Basic, C#, C++ or Web Development version of 2008 Express?

Quote:
Original post by Landshark
Quick question. Does the current version of Visual Studio 2008 Express include Silverlight or does it still need to be downloaded separately?

I had to download it separately; I still had to download it separately even when SL3 came out. And according to the Silverlight: Get Started Page you still need to download the tools if you have Visual Studio.

Quote:
I thought I read somewhere that it now includes silverlight, but I've done a ton of searching and I can't find info confirming or denying that.

Doesn't appear to come with it... see link above.

Quote:
Also, if I was to begin programming silverilght, would I choose Visual Studio Basic, C#, C++ or Web Development version of 2008 Express?

You can choose any .NET language. I chose C# since I thought it'd give me an opportunity to learn C#. Good luck.
Edit: Also, there's lots of example code on the 'net written in C#.
Edit2: Forgot to say that I use Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2008 Express as the IDE to make silverlight apps.

Also, decent tutorial, and Mike Snow's Silverlight Blog -- he also wrote a SL game programming book, which I did not read yet.

[Edited by - signal_ on August 18, 2009 3:59:14 AM]

This topic is 3045 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.