Pointers to Pointers to Objects to Pointers to Objects

Started by
3 comments, last by thefries 14 years, 8 months ago
For simplicity, assume LEVEL is an object that only contains a pointer to a MAP object which is essentially a dynamically allocated array of ints...which it is. Now, with that in hand and the following definitions:

//In GAME class def
LEVEL** _aryLevels;

//In GAME class ctor
_aryLevels = NULL;

//GAME method
void GAME::AddLevel() {
    (*(_aryLevels + _numLevels)) = new LEVEL[1];
    _numLevels++;
}

I have a few questions: 0) My intent is to create an array of pointers. Is this the correct procedure? 1) How do I fix "Access Violation writing location: 0x00000000"?
Advertisement
Try viewing that code in the debugger. You'll see something like this:

// ctor_aryLevels = 0x00000000;// GAME method(*(0x00000000 + 0)) = 0x12345678;

You're writing something to memory adress 0x00000000, which is bad. Allocate some memory and write into that. Note that new LEVEL[1] doesn't create a new LEVEL instance, it allocates a new array for 1 LEVELs, but without any instance being constructed.

Try using a vector, which as a dynamically allocated array:

// class defstd::vector<LEVEL *> _levels;// ctor// nothing.// method_levels.push_back(new LEVEL());// dtorfor(int index = _levels.size() - 1; index >= 0; --index) {  delete _levels[index];}levels.clear();

Removes all the hard-to-read (LEVEL **) stuff and automatically resizes the level array in bigger steps, thereby improving performance.
Professional C++ and .NET developer trying to break into indie game development.
Follow my progress: http://blog.nuclex-games.com/ or Twitter - Topics: Ogre3D, Blender, game architecture tips & code snippets.
Quote:Original post by cugone
0) [...] Is this the correct procedure?
1) How do I fix "Access Violation writing location: 0x00000000"?

You already know the answer of 0) when you look at 1).

[Edited by - phresnel on August 18, 2009 9:59:49 AM]
Quote:Original post by cugone

For simplicity, assume LEVEL is an object that only contains a pointer to a MAP object which is essentially a dynamically allocated array of ints...which it is.

For simplicity, let's translate this into code:
struct Level { // all-caps indicates constant or macro, so we capitalize classes  Level(int width, int height)    : map(width, height)  {}private:  Map map;    // we own! the map, 1 map <==> 1 level}struct Map {  Map(int width, int height)    : data(width * height)  {}  std::vector<int> data;};

So now we need an array of variable length of Levels:
struct Game {  std::vector<Level> levels;  void AddLevel() {    Level level;    levels.push_back(level);  }}

And voila. Isn't this simpler?
Quote:Original post by CygonNote that new LEVEL[1] doesn't create a new LEVEL instance, it allocates a new array for 1 LEVELs, but without any instance being constructed.

Just to clarify, that comment is incorrect. "new LEVEL[1]" does create an instance and it does call the constructor. I think you're thinking of "new LEVEL*[1]" which would create an array (size 1) of pointers to levels, and in that case no instances are created.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement