Sign in to follow this  
3DModelerMan

C++ deletion from vector

I don't understand where this code doesn't work, I know that isDead() returns true when I hit the enemy but the destructor for the object never gets called. for ( int i=0; i<mEntityList.size(); ++i ) { mEntityList[i]->update(); if ( mEntityList[i]->isDead() ) { mEntityList.erase(mEntityList.begin()+i);//Delete dead people. //delete mEntityList[i]; } } I commented out my other way of deleting cause it didn't work either.

You are erasing the element from the vector, then deleting a (unrelated) entity.

Instead, either delete first, or save the pointer and delete afterwards:

for ( int i = 0 ; i < mEntityList.size() ; )
{
Entity *entity = mEntityList[i];

entity->update();

if ( entity->isDead() )
{
mEntityList.erase(mEntityList.begin()+i);//Delete dead people.
delete entity;
}
else
{
++i;
}
}

Note you can use [source][/source] or [code][/code] to preserve the formatting of posted code.

[edit:

I forgot to make the increment conditional. I usually use std::remove_if() which is a better algorithm to use:

#include <algorithm>

struct UpdateAndDeleteDeadEntities
{
bool operator()(Entity *entity)
{
entity->update();

bool dead = entity->isDead();
if(dead)
{
delete entity;
}
return dead;
}
};

// whereever your code was
mEntityList.erase(
std::remove_if(mEntityList.begin(), mEntityList.end(), UpdateAndDeleteDeadEntities()),
mEntityList.end() );

Two problems I see:
1. Assuming the elements in the vector are objects created with new, you need to delete them.
2. You're erasing elements in the vector as you iterate through it - you'll miss elements in the vector.

This should work:

for (std::vector<Entity*>::iterator it=mEntityList.begin(); it!=mEntityList.end();)
{
Entity* pEntity = *it;
pEntity->update();
if(pEntity->isDead())
{
it = mEntityList.erase(it); // Remove from the vector
delete pEntity; // Delete the entity and free memory
}
else
++it;
}

std::for_each(mEntityList.begin(), mEntityList.end(), std::mem_fun(&Entity::update));
mEntityList.erase(std::remove_if(mEntityList.begin(), mEntityList.end(), std::mem_fun(&Entity::isDead)), mEntityList.end());

That doesn't do any deletion, though. Consider using smart pointers instead. You'll need to make wrapper functions to call the update and isDead functions (since std::mem_fun is expecting a raw pointer), but the basic logic is the same.