Sign in to follow this  

very newbie question about 2d game (http://btanks.sourceforge.net/)

This topic is 3040 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

recently im found the game http://btanks.sourceforge.net/ i want build a game base on it same as it ..... just little differ i really dont know how to start.. the problem is i use the system ubuntu i dont know how to programming on ubuntu what tool to use? if i really need to use windows... just use vs? i feel the game is dev on linux system cause it use http://www.scons.org/ build system do i have other choice to learn from? im total new on game dev what should i need to learn? [Edited by - fuzbun on December 3, 2009 9:09:28 AM]

Quote:
Original post by fuzbun
i really dont know how to start.. the problem is i use the system ubuntu
i dont know how to programming on ubuntu what tool to use?

You can do Java or C/C++ development on Ubuntu using Eclipse (for C/C++, see the CDT Project). Eclipse is a great, multi-platform development tool.
Quote:
Original post by fuzbun
im total new on game dev what should i need to learn?

Head on over to GameDev's For Beginners section. Should help you get you on your way.

You can also use Code Blocks on Ubuntu.

I looked at the source a little bit. It uses OpengGL with SDL. It also gives the option to use software rendering or hardware accelerated. It looks like it can be built on Windows, Mac, or Linux since it SDL and OpenGL are cross platform; also they provide downloads for the various OS's.

Quote:
do i have other choice to learn from? im total new on game dev what should i need to learn?

Yes. You have infinite choices.

This game uses SDL, so you could learn that to make 2D games. There are many other options.

So you should formulate a plan (roughly):

1. Define yr goals.
2. Choose the programming language/tools. [If you are new C# and Python are popular beginner choices].
3. Learn the language you chose and learn the API.

Once you have a clearly formulated plan you can post back on GD.net for more advice and guidance. So define yr goals better and do some research on language/tools. Tell us what interests you (goals/language/tools) and we can then be in a better position to try to help you. For starters, this may be informative reading.

This topic is 3040 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.