Sign in to follow this  
MangaTigerBoy

3D in C++

Hey, I'm making a plugin for Clickteam's Multimedia Fusion 2, and I'm pretty new to 3D, so.... In C++, How can I display a .3ds file, move it around, scale it, and animate it? My plugin will allow MMF2 to use .3ds files, so it will at least be caught up to Game Maker. [Edited by - MangaTigerBoy on August 20, 2009 1:06:38 PM]

No good. This runs off of some custom engine, which apparently does more than just display .3ds files, and takes the long way to do it. I just need the basics. If I need any custom engine, I'd prefer to write it myself.

Quote:
Original post by MangaTigerBoy
No good. This runs off of some custom engine, which apparently does more than just display .3ds files. I just need the basics. If I need any custom engine, I'd prefer to write it myself.

Rendering a .3ds file requires more than what you apparently consider to be "the basics" of how to "display .3ds files".

The link provided above shows how to parse the contents of a .3ds file. You will need to do that at some point, UNLESS you embrace pre-existing engines (check out OGRE) that do more than "the basics" and allow them to do the work for you.

If you decide to do it on your own, you will need to learn either OpenGL or DirectX, and you will need to parse the file as shown at the link and render it.