Sign in to follow this  

Online data loads

This topic is 3039 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Helo ! I got a question for a rather experienced game developer. In fact, I could find (test) this out by myself but for that I would have to use all physique engines there are. I am looking for a phys engine to which I could send triangle data defining a static shape online. I have a dynamic scene manager that can register 1 000 000 of objects by using of 50MB in ram. I can Online (on the fly) load a 2000 vertex object from a file if the register asks for it, and send it from cpu ram to gpu ram. It takes such a small time I can do it online. But I am using a physx engine and cannot perform cooking the triangle data to a physiqal shape online. It takes unacceptable time even for a 100 verticies. Is there a physiqal engine that can do this fast? PhysX has many features like liquids and deformable or elastic or cloth meshes but if I had a phys engine that can cook static triangle shape, perform a character controller collision (easy task) and perform box-tri collisions, I will grab it. May be I am just doing something wrong. Can I in PhysX define a static tri shape without calling NxCookTriangleMesh? See
bool status = NxCookTriangleMesh(terrainDesc, writeBuffer);

this call takes the time, all else is just cool, but this call creates me "writeBuffer" object of type MemoryWriteBuffer which is not defined in a PhysX SDK header but in my project header! To then get the actual trishape of actor I call
	terrainShapeDesc.meshData = gPhysDevice->GetDevice()->createTriangleMesh(MemoryReadBuffer(writeBuffer.data));

this creates the tri shape of actor, very fast, but as a parameter it takes this strange object that NxCookTriangleMesh was creating so long. If I could ommit NxCookTriangleMesh and somehow create this strange object-MemoryReadBuffer, the parameter that createTriangleMesh() needs, I would jump 7 meters high, becouse NxCookTriangleMesh is the only slow function in the proccess of creating a tri shape in PhysX scene. I ask a PhysX oriented question here becouse here are just such a guru coders that nowhere else are. I allways come here for answers. It is unbelievable how much help one can get here. THANKS

This topic is 3039 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.