• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dachande

gdi / d3d8 <- terrible title

This topic is 6308 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hey, don''t get me wrong, I know all about ddraw not being part of dx8, and using d3d8 to create the illusion of 2d etc, I''m not new to these concepts or dx But d3d is not my strong point I''ll admit. I would simply like to know if it is possible to use GDI to blit a 2d picture on a window, then use d3d to put a model over the top? for example, the background would always be a particular bitmap who apearance would never change, however the 3d model on top could go in to the z axis and just appear to get smaller, but still over the bitmap. How would you create this effect? Thanks in advance, Dachande

Advertisement
dachande:i don''t think it''s possible.. even if it was.. it would seem like a BIG performace lost! well.. what''s the problem with creating a quad with a background texture? Simple, efficient and pretty.

With best regards,
Mirek Czerwiñski
http://kris.top.pl/~kherin/

I think it''s possible, but a REALLY bad way to do it. Here''s a really good way:

1. Look at the 2D article on this site. Setup your 2D matrices and draw your background as a 2D quad.

2. switch your matrices back to your "3D setup"

3. make sure your Z buffer is cleared (or that you drew the 2D scene in such a way that it doesn''t matter)

4. draw your 3D stuff

Easy, VERY fast, and no GDI - you don''t need it...

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!