Sign in to follow this  

C++\CLR or C# wrapper for native c++ code for creating a MapEditor

This topic is 3041 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I want to make a Map Editor for my game TankWars with some complex GUI. Problem is i dont have required experience to make GUI using native c++ so i wanted to make GUI in C# or C++/CLI and connect them to native c++ classes and functions. I have native code ready but now i need to some how connect it to managed code. I did some searching on Net and found that i either need to use COM which i dont want to use or i have to create wrapper for native code. So please provide some useful tutorials,links anything useful that can help me learn how to make wrapper for native c++ code or if there is any other alternative please suggest me that too. [Edited by - Chetanhl on August 19, 2009 11:57:21 AM]

You already listed C++/CLI. C++/CLI allows you to use native code in .NET without writing wrappers or going through COM. It's way faster than COM and a little faster than P/Invoke, too.

The drawback is that it's not portable. C++/CLI currently only works on Microsoft's .NET CLR on Windows and nowhere else.

Using P/Invoke would require you to create a pure C wrapper for your C++ code and then call the C wrapper functions in a .NET wrapper library. Not too complicated (unless you want to keep references .NET in your native code or call from native to .NET), but it's a lot of boilerplate code to write.

Maybe writing the GUI in C++ would be an option? There's Qt and WxWidgets. Qt is absolutely free now (Nokia bought them) and is just as productive as Visual Studio w/ WinForms designer.

http://www.gamedev.net/reference/programming/features/D3DCsharpWinform/

this tutorial is ideal for what you want to do, I used it myself.

I have mutated that tutorial to do all kinds of things, including bridging C# and my engine using Lua.

The thing about this is that you need some way of creating objects in your engine... and exposing that functionality in the wrapper, which C# can use to create or load your tank assets.

This topic is 3041 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.