Sign in to follow this  
Jaqen

Sorting a vector of objects based on a member of that object...

How can I do this? I found a few things on google and tried them but I kept getting compiler errors. I have a class that looks like this: class Word { private: std::string word; }; I want to sort by word.length() in descending order. I tried something like: bool predicateSort(const Word& w1, const Word& w2) { return w1.word.length() < w2.word.length() } std::sort(myVector.begin(), myVector.end(), predicateSort); And I tried a few other variations of this such as overloading the operator < in the class so it'd look like: bool operator<(MyData rhs) { return m_iData < rhs.m_iData; } I mainly tried the stuff listed here: http://www.codeguru.com/forum/showthread.php?t=366064 Thanks for the help.

What's the type of myVector? If it's a std::vector<Word> then your predicateSort should have worked (aside from missing a ; in the predicateSort() definition and Word's word member being private).

It's type Word, yeah. It keeps pointing me to stl_algo.h saying I have some error.

The class has this as a public method:
bool operator<(Word w) { return word.length() < w.word.length(); }

Then I try to use:
std::vector<Word> playerWords = player1.getWordList();
std::sort(playerWords.begin(), playerWords.end());

Never done this before so I'm probably doing something real dumb. I get lots of errors like:

C:\Program Files (x86)\CodeBlocks\MinGW\bin\..\lib\gcc\mingw32\3.4.5\..\..\..\..\include\c++\3.4.5\bits\stl_algo.h||In function `const _Tp& std::__median(const _Tp&, const _Tp&, const _Tp&) [with _Tp = Word]':|

C:\Program Files (x86)\CodeBlocks\MinGW\bin\..\lib\gcc\mingw32\3.4.5\..\..\..\..\include\c++\3.4.5\bits\stl_algo.h|2482|instantiated from `void std::__introsort_loop(_RandomAccessIterator, _RandomAccessIterator, _Size) [with _RandomAccessIterator = __gnu_cxx::__normal_iterator<Word*, std::vector<Word, std::allocator<Word> > >, _Size = int]'|

C:\Program Files (x86)\CodeBlocks\MinGW\bin\..\lib\gcc\mingw32\3.4.5\..\..\..\..\include\c++\3.4.5\bits\stl_algo.h|90|error: passing `const Word' as `this' argument of `bool Word::operator<(Word)' discards qualifiers|

You probably want:

bool operator<(const Word & w) const { return word.length() < w.word.length(); }