• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How to load tiff image files using vc++?

This topic is 6062 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi! Does anyone knows how to write a loader to load and display tiff files using VC++ or already has such an application? Please help me.......it is rather urgent..... ps: I currently have a MFC program that is able to load and display 24-bit bitmaps, is it possible to modify it to cater to other bits of bitmap files and tiff files? Thanks!!!!

Advertisement
TIFF is a very complex format, so--at best--you''ll probably only want to support a subset of it. However, this severly limits what apps you use to make your TIFFs and how you make them. Instead, I recommend you try the Targa format instead, if possible; it''s very easy to read and write programmatically and supports a wide range of color depths.

Go to http://www.wotsit.org for technical information on both. Either way you go, I hope you''re familiar with binary file operations...

Thanks Merlin!

I have to use tiff formats and even geotiff formats, don''t have a choice. Will look at the wotsit website though!

An alternative is to use a library; I just remembered that there's one that used to be called OpenIL (which seems to have been renamed) that handles TIFF and tons of others. It's cross-platform, and I hear that it's very easy to use. You can find it at http://www.imagelib.org. You might find that it's not worth the trouble to implement a TIFF loader yourself; I would certainly never want to do it, so I'd most likely use a library.

Edited by - merlin9x9 on July 16, 2001 3:55:07 AM

I have just find out that a library called libtiff could be used to display tiff files. Now trying to find sample programs based on this library to load and display!

Thanks again!

• Advertisement