[C++] What's wrong with code?

Started by
17 comments, last by bibalasvegas 14 years, 8 months ago
Hey everyone! Could someone please help me out with this...
int main()
{
 	vector<string> names;
 	vector<double> grades;
	string name; 
 	cout << "Enter your names: ";
 	while (cin >> name) {
		  names.push_back(name);
		  if (name == "q") break;
    }
    int i = 0;
    while (i < names.size())
    {
	 	cout << names + ", enter you grade: ";
	 	cin >> grades;
	 	cout << endl;
	 	i++;
	}

system("PAUSE");
    return 0;
}
this doesn't work, for some reason. It works perfectly up until I enter the grade for the first student, and after I press enter, there's a Windows error and the program just shuts down. I think it's obvious what I'm trying to do here, so why doesn't it work? I can't think of a single reason, apart from maybe some type mismatch error... Please help! I tried using a for loop, but the result is the same.
Advertisement
grades is empty; trying to access it with grades when i == 0 will throw an exception.

Try changing:
cin >> grades;

to:

double tmp;
cin >> tmp;
grades.push_back( tmp );

EDIT:
If you're using Dev-C++, I'd advise you to get rid of it. Use Visual Studio 2008 Express Edition instead.
As _fastcall said ... grades has 0 elements so you have to use push_back() every time you read a grade. You can use an auxiliary variable like this :

double aux;

cin>>aux;

grades.push_back(aux);
I'm pretty sure there's a way to resize the vector, I'm probably wrong though.

It'd mean you wouldn't need the temporary variable and you can just continue as you were.
Here to learn :)
Quote:Original post by MrPickle

Like the resize() member function?

Nope, you are quite correct:

int i = 0;	grades.resize( names.size() );while (i < names.size()){	cin >> grades;	// Dot dot dot}
I'm pretty sure there's a way to resize the vector

There is.

Edit: Much too slow, I must need more coffee.
Looks like I should have more faith in myself (:
Here to learn :)
Wow, thank you guys! You're very very helpful here! And there's so much I have already learned just by doing this seemingly pointless Accelerated C++ exercise!
I found three things that aren't necessarily wrong, but would in the end help you.

1. You aren't checking the value of the name before pushing it.

names.push_back(name);if (name == "q") break;

You should check to see if name==q first if it isn't then you push the name on to the vector.

2. If you think about this as a real world application with hundreds of different names/grades you may want to just be able to input both values at the same time. e.g. get a name then get a value for that name. (You could use a map for this but two vectors will work just as well).

3. You may want to check if q is upper case or lower case.

if (name == "q"||name=="Q") break;

(For future reference there is a string function that can compare 2 strings for you. http://www.cplusplus.com/reference/string/string/compare/)

Also for your last while loop it would be the same as using a for loop.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement