ID's BSP issue

Started by
2 comments, last by Sean123 22 years, 9 months ago
Hi, If we pay the licensing fee required by ID software for use of their tools, would we then also have the right to use all Q3Radiant''s options such as their quake 3 textures? The licensing fee also seems to indicate the use of ID software''s tools, does that mean other tools of Quake 3 can also be used with this license? If the money is to be paid, I wish to take full advantage of the license. What exactly does the license give us the right to? Also, is there any plans to design a PR BSP level editor? On a final note, is there plans of keeping Q3 BSP as PR''s main indoor technology or do you Chris have other plans for the future? Thanks
Advertisement
Talk to id Software about their licensing. For using Q3Radiant and related map tools the license is $5k. I doubt this gives you the right to use their textures.

I have no plans to create a BSP editor at this time. To make something like that would require a lot of programming and studying of new techniques (CSG, BSP compiling, PVS, lightmap computation).

BSP''s will be PR''s main indoor technology. I''ve tried other techniques such as the portals and polytope collision but BSP is by far the best method.

I may have a desire to make an indoor editor in the future if the engine continues to be popular, but right now I don''t feel like spending another year developing an editor when there is already one available that gets the job done.

Anyone who is serious about making a game will have no trouble paying id''s tool license fee, and it''s certainly better and cheaper than buying the full Q3 source license which only does indoor BSP rendering for $300k.
Author of Power Render (http:/www.powerrender.com)
I havent played around yet with BSP''s so forgive me if this is a dumb question...

Can other BSP editors, like WorldCraft be used?

If so, I wonder if this would skirt the issue of having to pay licensing fees to ID. Not that 5k is going to break the bank for a serious developer releasing a product. Im just playing devils advocate.

OF course, then I guess one would have to find out what, if anything Valve charges for the use of WorldCraft.

Jason
It needs to make Quake3 BSP files. Older versions will not work in the engine. I don''t know if there are other tools available and I''ve only tried Q3Radiant.
Author of Power Render (http:/www.powerrender.com)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement