downloads

Started by
8 comments, last by deadstar 14 years, 8 months ago
Hi guys I am just finishing off a pong game and I don't really now how to save it as a .exe so that i can just click it from my desktop. Can u please help me or direct me to an appropriate article? I checked but couldn't see any obvious ones. Oh and also how do I let other people install my game? for instance if i wanted to include the download on my blog how would i go about doing that?

Game Development Tutorials - My new site that tries to teach LWJGL 3.0 and OpenGL to anyone willing to learn a little.

Advertisement
From a look on your blog I think you are using visual studio. Just switch to release (change the dropdown box in the menu that now states 'debug') and press the build button. The exe is in <project directory>/Release if I remember correctly (haven't used visual studio for quite a while. For a installer just google for 'free installer creator' or something). But I think visual studio comes with a installer just look for it in your start menu, although I'm not totally sure about that.

EDIT: I heard some good things about the Nullsoft Installer but since I'm a Linux user I never used it.
if (*pYou == ASSHOLE) { pYou->Die(); delete pYou; };
thanks alot :D and thanks for going onto my blog :D

Game Development Tutorials - My new site that tries to teach LWJGL 3.0 and OpenGL to anyone willing to learn a little.

your welcome. As a side note, for a game so small as a simple pong game you may want to distribute it in a zip archive or something. Since people downloading the are just going to try it, most are just not going to install something if they want to test it once. So to increase your user base you may want to distribute it in a zip archive. And use a installer for bigger games.
if (*pYou == ASSHOLE) { pYou->Die(); delete pYou; };
Hey emforce. For a game like pong, or anything small, I would use a file hosting site. A good one is mediafire.com Then you can link it on your blog.

hope this helps :D

p.s. I commented on your blog xD (Dopple)
If you set up your project as a .exe, it should be sitting in a folder named Debug or Release at the root of your project*. In other words, if your project is stored at C:\Programming\MyProject, the .exe should be in C:\Programming\MyProject\(Debug or Release). To get it to your desktop, just create a shortcut on your destop [smile]

*This might be different if you created a folder for your solution. Just look for folders named Debug and Release; your .exes should be hiding in there.
How do i link all my libraries with it? I am getting loadsa linker errors when i try release build. thanks

When you linked your libraries in, you probably only did it for debug builds. You have to set up your project properties separately for each build configuration. Go to Project->Properties, and on the top left where it says Configuration, select Release. Then make sure your libraries are linked in correctly under this configuration.
Ok so i got the pong.exe file but when i run it it just shuts down immediatly what am i doing wrong? My .exe is only 16kb and i am thinking this is rather small for the files i have with it. what am i doing wrong?

Quote:Original post by emforce
Ok so i got the pong.exe file but when i run it it just shuts down immediatly what am i doing wrong?

Are all of your assets in the correct directory? If you click the 'Run' button in Visual Studio, it runs the app from the project folder and NOT the debug/release folder. You probably need to reorganise your assets folder(s), and it would be a wise decision to do some error checking in your code and report to the user if any files could not be loaded.

Quote:Original post by emforce
My .exe is only 16kb and i am thinking this is rather small for the files i have with it. what am i doing wrong?

Unless you are using Win32 resources (or similar system), no files will be included in the exe. If you've just added them to your Visual Studio solution, they'll still be dangling in a folder somewhere.

"The right, man, in the wrong, place, can make all the dif-fer-rence in the world..." - GMan, Half-Life 2

A blog of my SEGA Megadrive development adventures: http://www.bigevilcorporation.co.uk

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement