• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Seriema

M$ logs unauthorized use of MSDN??

This topic is 6301 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''ve heard that if you borrow an MSDN CD and install it at home, it detects that your using it at home since it can''t find the IP nr to the server of your company, and then send the info that "someones is using this software illegaly" and you e-mail adress too www.microsoft.com Is anything of this true??? }+TITANIUM+{

Advertisement
Almost certainly not. After all, why would they bother offering it all online if they were immensely concerned about people seeing it who didn''t pay...

I don''t know... Maybe to alert the company that someone is using CD''s that "the company" has payed for?? I heard it here at the gamedev chat...

}+TITANIUM+{

If it is true, they don''t do much with the information. I''ve used a borrowed copy of MSDN and even VS6 Enterprise at home, (now I''ve switched back to the Borland free command line tools), but I didn''t get into trouble when using the borrowed cd''s.

well the software works reguardless of the internet. thats only like filling out a registration card online incase u have future problems. i know when i installed mine it had that option but its merely for the online help which i never use anyways

1. Yup, nonsense. If there were IP logging, we would have had to inform them when we moved offices and ISP taking our _licensed_ MS software with us.

2. What MS *HAVE* talked about (which is probably where the rumours started) is clamping down on companies buying premium MSDN to get MS Office tools...
ie. On the full premimum MSDN CDs you get fully working versions of Word, Excel, Access, Outlook, Powerpoint, FrontPage, Publisher, Exchange (IIRC), and a few other tools - some companies have been buying MSDN CDs and installing the versions from there instead of the full boxed packages. The MSDN versions are intended purely for development, not everyday commercial use (IIRC this is mentioned in the license when you install the MSDN versions).

I think the product key gets embedded in documents you create with MS Office, the MSDN product key (although you don''t get asked when you install the MSDN versions) is different to a retail or OEM product key, so if you start publishing documents with a developer version, and you work for a large organisation who should know better, and MS happen to recieve one of those documents, then they might contact you and ask that your company starts using the proper retail/OEM version of the software.

3. It shouldn''t be an issue if you have all the correct licenses and are a law abiding citizen. (Just because MS are a big corporation, its no excuse for piracy!)...

--
Simon O''''Connor
Creative Asylum Ltd
www.creative-asylum.com

that is certainly not true.

i live in malaysia (heaven for software pirates) and have been using pirated copy of msdn for about 3 years now and nothing bad came rushing into my home. i received almost quarterly updates on it and i attribute my improving programming skills to it.

i am not proud using the pirated copy but you have to be really in this country to understand its economics and the immense needs to improve.

just an opinion from me

synthexp:

You''ve misunderstood what I wrote. What MS are clamping down on is __companies__ ****BUYING**** legal copies of MSDN so they can get cheap/ambigously licensed copies of MS Office et al.

A home user with pirated software is a totally different issue. They''re unlikely to do anything about domestic piracy unless the pirate is a) redistributing the software or b) making a lot of money from works created with the software.

The following link explains what I said in more complete detail:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/archive/18785.html

--
Simon O''''Connor
Creative Asylum Ltd
www.creative-asylum.com

My copy of MSDN has a little message on the CD (MSDN Jul 2000) : "You are allowed to freely distribute this software".
So I don''t think it''s true.

"When you kill one, it is a tragedy. When you kill ten million, it is a statistic."
- Sarlok

would that be on a hand written label ?

but you still have to agree to the EULA when installing the software such as MS Word from it.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!