• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

nosfy

Generating skyboxes with Bryce4?

This topic is 6157 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi! I just wanted to know if Bryce could generate the six bitmaps needed to map a skybox? So far I have been using SkyPaint and it works well, but there is a deal on Bryce4 at my local store so I was wondering if it was worth the money? Patrick Lafleur System Engineer Creation Objet Inc.

Advertisement
I know bryce does cool sky boxes, I''m not sure what you can export them to, you''ll have to check their web site. In my opinion, Bryce is worth it''s weight in gold. It''s my favorite 3D program.

Well I''m not the biggest fan of Bryce. As with most of metacreations other products, it''s overly used and produces some highly recognisable images. I haven''t seen an image created in bryce that I couldn''t look at and say "Hey that was created in Bryce". Most of the time you can even guess the version number based on the number of extras that were included in the image. Examples of it''s bad use can be found on the back of the Limp Bizkit Significant Other CD. It can also be seen in a quake 3 mod called DBQ. Another problem with using them as sky boxes is that it''s completly obvious when you go from a low polygon terrain such as most 3d games have, to a skybox which was rendered with 10x the polygon ammount of what''s in the game. Sky box''s are used to create the simulation that the world is larger than it actualy is, not show off where the in game terrain meets the pre-rendered terrain.

Hi nosfy
If you''re still interested in creating your sky boxes with bryce I can help you with some things.
Bryce was bought by Corel a while ago, and the new version homepage is located at their site. Gamasutra got an extensive tutorial about creating skyboxes for games at their site.

Hope I''ve helped.

------------------
It''s me again!

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!