• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BeanDog

DSound is undocumented?

This topic is 6154 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Why are there no DirectSound *tutorials* in the SDK help? The only way they show to play a sound is using a piece of DirectMusic... This is terrible. There must be a fast way to play sound effects at different left/right balances?! Could someone post some basic DirectSound initialization procedures, up until the first sound is played, please? Thanks a ton in advance, ~BenDilts( void );

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
My DirectX book has 3 chapters on it, so I think it''s quite a big topic. I haven''t gotten to it yet, but you might want to get the book if you can find it. Teach Yourself Directx 7 in 24 hrs, pubbed by Sams

I wondered about this as well--I''m attempting to write the sound engine for a game, but I couldn''t find any meaningful information about DirectSound, and my attempts with DirectMusic haven''t worked.

I''m looking into GAudio, what looks like a terrific (if foreign) wrapper for DAudio8 and some other stuff as well, like XM and MP3 support:

http://www.obrazstudio.com/gaudio/

Has anyone ever used this? Is it any good?

~BenDilts( void );

the problem with gaudio is the license. if you sell your product you must pay them. just look up DirectAudio in the sdk documentation. you can load any type of wave or midi with ONE (1) function call. it''s really not to tough since they provide working code and samples. I would recomend that, and for mp3''s, DirectShow is good and free. maybe your richer than me though.

HHSDrum@yahoo.com
Polarisoft Home Page

Oh, come on, be realistic... How many of your programs have you sold, man? If you''re going to sell something, it doesn''t take that many copies to cover a $110 license. Anyway, that''s likely to be my decision.

Thanks for the input,

~BenDilts( void );

Why not check out CDX? (www.cdxlib.com) Check out the CDXSound class. It is real easy to use, completely free, and open source to boot. If anything, take a look at the source to get some ideas...

Jack

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!