A little survey

Started by
15 comments, last by Saluk 22 years, 9 months ago
I just got half way through a long reply when I realised that I was just agreeing with everything Silvermyst said.
Advertisement
Hey Silvermyst, I like most of the things you said, they pretty much match up with my game, which is really encouraging. What I meant about the quests question is that I might not have npc quests (maybe not even npc''s) and any interesting things would have to be set up by the players. For instance, a hidden cave with treasure at the end would mean that some player got treasure and hid it in the cave and hired his friends to guard it instead of having the quest already set up by me, the designer. I''m not totally sure how it will work, but I think I will have certain items that there is only one copy of in the world, meaning only one player can have it at a time. This would mean players trying to figure out who has it etc. Then again, I may not have much in the way of items, I''m just not sure.
About eating, it is an important part of my design, and I''m not sure how to implement it well. I want to make eating different foods important, not just this food gives 3 food points and this food gives 10 food points. I might have some other fluctuating stats like in the sims: overall hunger, sweets, spicy, protein, and taste. They would fluctuate as you eat different foods and you have to find the right balance to stay healthy. If someone attacks you when the food stats are unbalanced, and it would have different affects on your fighting. And I want to implement cravings as well, like: "Suddenly, you have a craving for sweets" and have some sort of timer in which the craving gets stronger and stronger and then passes. But how do I get the player to want to satisfy his/her cravings? Just because it says you have a craving on the screen, doesn''t mean the player will take the time to satisfy it. How do I affect the gameplay to encourage the player to satisfy it, without forcing him to or doing anything arbitrarily?
Player-killing is a tough one, and ti will always be a problem. Thare are so many mass-murderers who play that it''s hard to just say, let all players fight each other. I want it to be realistic, challenging, but most importantly, fun. I think I can make it work with safe-zones. Not much cool stuff to do in a safe zone, so you have to venture out sometime, but you can always stay there if you are afraid. Maybe I will have safe-zones change during gameplay, and only available at certain times. They should be big enough however, to allow someone to evade someone else who is out for them. And I wont have a built in follow command.
I want it to be large, but I think that interesting places is more important. I will have to balance that issue with effort,time,etc.

Anyone else have any other issues/comments/whatever?
I agree pretty much with Silvermyst, excepting two things;

Death: Easy death easy re-incarnation gets really annoying, actually easy death at all regardless of re-incarnation gets old fast.

As mentioned before, perhaps rather than death, some sort of defeat. Defeat might still mean say having some of your stuff dropped on the ground for looting, or losing some exp. I personally like the idea of a percentage, say 30/70 chance that each item might be dropped and loot-able.

This idea extends into PVP as well. Perhaps people should be able to turn on or off their participation in PVP. This sort of thing would need a delay so that people couldn''t just go around turning off PVP participation the moment before defeat.

Now it''s the players who end up deciding where the PVP people hang out, and where the non-PVP people frequent. In addition, PVP wouldn''t mean dying; The only way to die would be in duels. In other words, if xx31337d00dxx really gets under my skin, I can challenge him to a duel. If he refuses, he gets marked as a coward until he makes x number of experience points, a certain amount of time passes, or he owns up to the duel. Maybe duels could also be an optional thing separate from PVP.

My 3 cents....

These are my opinions and only opinions, not to be confused with sentiment.

Cheerio,
Aaron

HollowWorks.com
1.What is your favorite aspect?
e. Exploring

2.When you die, what is your prefered method of reincarnation?
f. No reincarnation, you die, you make a new character

3.What would be your prefered penalty for dying?
g. Same as #2, when you die, you die.

4.Which size world do you prefer?
c. Large world to explore, with possible long periods of bordom in the wilderness

5.What do you think about logging out?
a. Log out and save anytime

6.How about eating?
a. Important, should be realistic

7.Player-killing?
c. All PK with safe zones

8.Quests:
b. I like to do quests when I get bored

9.Type of world
f. I don''t care

10.Setting?
see 9

11.Any other issues with these kind of games:
Kill all the OOC bastards

-Forcas

"Elvis is alive. He is Barney the purple dinosaur. He is the pied piper that leads our children into the wages of sin and eternal damnation."

-Forcaswriteln("Does this actually work?");
RE: food

I know this isnt what you want to hear, but I really dont think an overcomplicated food mechanism is going to add anything to the gameplay. Most of the people who have replied to this thread (plus every other similar thread I have seen) have said that food isnt something they think is particularly important. At the end of the day, you are imposing fairly uninteresting micromanagement on the players and punishing them if they fail to keep up with it. I imagine the vast majority of people would get really pissed off with this. If it is just for the sake of realism, then forget it. Where do we draw the line for realism?

A very simple nutrition system might be ok. Maybe have different quality foods... too much rich food and you get fat, too much crap food and you start to weaken. I think much more detail than that would be too much.

You are very right, I know exactly what you mean. I definately don''t want it to be overcomplicated, and I want it to be simple and fun for anyone to just pick up and play. I am trying to think of ways to make eating a little more important than most games, but still fun. Eating is fun in the sims, and I recently thought of another game where eating is quite important: Nethack. And you have to be careful what you eat in that game too. I think I will do something similar to that, where you can get ill, poisoned, hallucinate, etc. but with less drastic consequences. None of the food should be fatal. I think it would be fun for players to find out what foods are especially beneficial to them, and what foods might have odd effects. I am really getting a clearer picture of my game now thanks to you guys. The key is fun.

Saluk
If the world was really, really big there would be no need for safe zones. You could just find a nice secluded spot (hide-out) and hope noone found you. I think that would be fun.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement