• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jobie

Alpha and light maps from MAX

This topic is 6155 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, My artist collaborator would like to use the illumination map channel and the alpha map channel in 3DSMAX materials. I did a test with the illumination map channel and it seemed to have no effect. Are these channels supported? Is there a way to accomplish this? (He''s using ver. 3) -John "Hell, I''''d piss on a spark plug if I thought it''''d do any good." - Gen''''l Berringer from the movie "WarGames"

Advertisement
Use a 32 bit TGA with an alpha channel. There is an example of this on the FTP site (UserUploads\Models\GirlHead).

Hi again, Chris,

The example PRO looks fine in PRO Edit. I loaded up the MAX file, and it seemed to be missing 2 maps. I set the "AliceHairTR" map to use "Hair2" and exported a PRO file. Anyway, it came out all wrong...her hair was opaque and her skin looked like she had been in a coal mine!

I tried another simple test on my own...using a 32-bit TGA with an alpha channel. I made a material with a regular diffuse texture and then my checkerboard alpha TGA (verified the alpha channel within MAX). Exported the PRO and all I got was the diffuse. :-(

Of course, I''m viewing the PRO file on my laptop, and again, the PRO file in the example looked fine in PRO Edit.

Any ideas?

-John

Change the rendering method to something like XGOURAUD_TEXTURED and also change the texture format to ARGB4444.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!