• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Zenty

Lightrays (like in a room with fog)

This topic is 5548 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi! Can anyone help me with a tip, code, link or anything else on how to develope somekind of lightray-effect? What I''m looking is more or less just like the effect Savage are using. Check out the link "http://savage.planet-d.net/" The problem is that I just can''t find anything on how to create it... :-( I really hope you can help me! Thanks!

Advertisement
Take a smoke like texture and put it on a ploygon. Enable blending, make the texture modulate onto the polygon. Like so:

glTexEnvf(GL_TEXTURE_ENV, GL_TEXTURE_ENV_MODE, GL_MODULATE);

This blends the polygon color and alpha with the texutre color and alpha. Make the ends of the polygon that are close to you have 0 alpha and the farthest ends have opague alpha.

I got this old post, very old post. I was searchin for lightrays and found it. Could anyone explain me better?

What i do is render a volume to the stencil buffer after rendering everything else, this clips the volume so that you dont render where you dont want it (like in volume-shadows).

I then render a semi-transparent quad over the entire screen where the stencil buffer has been set.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!