• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Double or Triple Buffering

This topic is 6061 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Can someone explane me, what is faster Double or triple buffering. I know a lot about double buffering, but what is triple buffering ??? Thank you !

Advertisement
Tripple buffering and higher are just the same idea as double except the display flips between three or more buffers. Tripple and higher buffering can help when there is much contension for the buffers between the screen and the rendering pipeline. For example is the rendering pipeline is ALWAYS waiting for the page to flip to continue working, it might be better off to create a third buffer. Note that for each buffer you increase your renderinf latency one frame, but if you end up increasing your rending rate ( less contension for resources ) you can run at a higher fps.

Hope that made some sense.

I''ve always wanted to know, when using triple+ buffers do you always draw to the backmost buffer and DX does the reset or do you have to write the code to write to the "middle" buffer if it has not been completely rendered when the flip takes place?

Yep, just write to the backbuffer, the rest is handled automatically by the Flip/Present. (All that goes on internally is a bunch of pointers are swapped in a circular/round robin fashion - what was previously the primary becomes the new backmost, what was previously the backmost becomes the new middle, and what was previously the middle becomes the visible/primary). Calling them Visible and Work rather than Primary and Back/Secondary might make more sense...

--
Simon O''''Connor
Creative Asylum Ltd
www.creative-asylum.com

• Advertisement