• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CrazySwede

Is this good stats?

This topic is 6240 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have just decided about which one of my game ideas I will start working on now. It''s my first game and first program ever I do with C++ or DirectX. But I''m a fast learner and have been working with the base of the game engine for 2 months now. Yesterday I decided to try out the engine and push some polygons. The game I want to do is and outdoor fantasy game so the first thing I needed was a terrain. I have made a heightmap loader wich loads a 128x128 b&w bitmap as the terrain. With 128x128 verticies that gives me 32258 triangles. I draw this and a skybox. Look a the screen below: I now it''s not that goodlooking yet, but it will. I have just worked on it for like 5 hours yet... But now to the question. I don''t know if you can read the little yellow text but it says: FPS: ~140 Terrain tris: ~32258 (+some degenerate because of the tristrip) That gives me 140*32258 = 4.5 million tris / sec. What do you guys get? I want to now if I need to optimize anything yet. So far I have no frustrum culling what so ever. But I don''t want that since I wan''t the player to be able to see all the island the game takes place on at once. That means that the game should run with acceptable speed when everything is visible. Hope to get some answers. PS. I wan''t to thank everyone here for the help. I have needed some since this is, as I said, the first thing I do with C++ or DirectX

Advertisement
Some more info:
Resolution 1024x768
Intel Pentium III 600 MHz
256 MB RAM

And I managed to push it to 5.2 million tris / sec
right now, but then I have no AI, no collision, few
renderstate changes etc.

What tri-count is common in new games?

I think thats quite ok, in 3d mark 2001 I get between 5 and 9 million tris/sec on a
Athlon TB 800
GF 256 SDR
and 392 Megs of RAM

What kind of vid card are you running? That makes a HUGE difference. Pretty good for your first thingy with DirectX...I wish I could code that fast.

my terrain engine/demo/thingy which I've been working on for about 2 weeks, on my 1.5 ghz gforce2ultra can render 32 million triangles a frame and I get an average fps of about 120. This is with some nice wavy water too. go here to take a peek http://www.geocities.com/tryforfulluse/water_lil_jpg.jpg
i am use heightmapping, and generating my own texture to be stretched across the terrain. i have implemented water, a sky, particle engine, texture generation, and a few other neato things. pretty proud of this beast good luck with your project. by the way i'm using OGL with c/c++. peace

Edited by - masterg on July 17, 2001 7:40:39 PM

WOW - 32M tris/frame * 120 fps = 3.84 Billion tris/sec...

Crazy Swede - you may want to look at the stats on http://www.madonion.com. The results browser should list the tris/sec for your configuration, but you may have to install/run 3DMark before it''ll let you browse.

4.5M isn''t too bad depending on your hardware. Culling won''t effect how much your player can see - as the frustrum moves, just cull different stuff - the player only sees what''s in the frustrum anyway...

CrazedGenius:
I know that the player sees whats in the frustrum with
culling too, but what I ment was that I want decent
framerates even when everything is visible. So to begin
with I just render everything, and if I manage to do
that with good FPS, then I will start to cull and
optimize to get some time over for the game stuff.

Thanks for the info y''all

MasterG

That looks pretty cool. The water looks a bit weird though, if you average out the vertex normals with those of the neighbouring tris you will get a smoother looking surface.

thanks guys, I just implemented in about an hour that water thingy, so it''s nothing much. I dont plan on further updating that demo anymore, instead I would like to relax and read a bit more before I start another demo. I''ve read a lil on octrees, quadtrees, LOD, and such, now I have to implement it into my demo. I want to make some underwater aquarium thingy, like shown in the OpenGL redbook. good luck with your game thingy. peace

Oh my, I have no idea why I said 32 million , I guess I didnt read the text I was generating right. I am rendering 32772 triangles a frame, and therefore with 120 fps 3932640 triangles a frame. Im sorry for the misconception I layed on you guys. Geesh, well it looks good anyways good luck with your project..... if anyone can 32 million triangles a frame, eek...

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!