• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

markhsch

OpenGL -vs- DirectX again

This topic is 6328 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Well, I''ve seen this question asked before (I''m sure it''s been asked at least infinity+1 times), but I have a different twist on it. I''ve heard the arguments like "OpenGL is easier to learn", "DirectX is what the ''pros'' are using". Stuff like that. My question, aside from the "my API is better than your API" arguments, which API should I really devote my time to? I don''t care about ease of use, if you were to write a game that would seriously compete with the bigboys, which API would you use and why? Thanks for any info. -Mark

Advertisement
Well one reason to use OpenGL is that you have good ( just slightly smaller than D3d ) coverage under windows. The better part is that these openGL games and engines have a almost 0% rewrite to port to other advanced OS''s ( MAC OSX, Linux, PS2, Nintendo 64 uses a varient of OGL, X-Box ) As for the rest of the game that''s your problem.

If I had to choose one API to use it would be OpenGL.

To play devil''s advocate.. If I was competing with the bigboys I''de have a good budget, and be writing my engine on an abstraction layer so I could use either OpenGL or D3D.

Well as my tests goes, OpenGL is a bit faster, haves cooler features like Bleizers and NURBS, Better Vertex Handling, also imposible to use directly with VB.

DirectX is easy in VB, but a hell in C++ (that''s for me), is easy for 2D (but DX8 Lacks of 2D Stupport), also if any feature isn''t available in Hardware it emulates it in Software mode, etc, etc....

If the stuff is 2D i go with DirectX or even My Own Library (some c++ mixed with assembler) and Windows GDI, couse OpenGL is hard for 2D stuff (at least for me...)

That was my 2 cents.

Wbuffer,

2d in OpenGL is easy ( really ).

enable blending mode for transparncy
gluOrtho2d to set up an orthographic viewing transformation
load textures

then use glVertex2i,glTextCoord2i,... to plot your sprites on the world. I got a gl4java demo up and running in uder 6 hrs from scratch including loading the textures ( the hardest part ). As long as your viewport matches 1:1 with your orthographic viewing transoformation your sprite will come through without any munging. Get the red book if you are interested in OpenGL it is the OGL 1.2 bible.

I''m planning on putting together a nice abstraction layer so I can use any of several rendering layers including OpenGL, Java3d, Java2d ( slow ), or java 1.1 compatibilty ( slow, less features ). 2d with 3d hardware really rocks because of the fx it can generate almost for free ( scaling, rotation, deformation, hilighting, blending, multitextureing, ... ).

OpenGL with VB is possible with the right custom control ( they are out there ).

Of course I''m makeing the gl4Java one work correctly first.

This is posted in entirely the wrong forum (should have been the OpenGL forum or DirectX forum, this is not a graphics programming forum), and everyone is sick and tired of the OpenGL vs DirectX flame wars that these threads inevitably degenerate into. The thread is closed.

People might not remember what you said, or what you did, but they will always remember how you made them feel.
Mad Keith the V.

This topic is 6328 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.