[CIL] Where are Embedded Resources stored?

Started by
0 comments, last by theOcelot 14 years, 7 months ago
I'm considering storing a large file as an embedded resource for sake of easier distribution. However, I'm worried that this will cause the RAM requirements of the application to double, as the embedded resource might be stored in RAM when the application is ran. I'm not having much luck Googling the answer, this particular answer seems to suggest that it's stored in RAM: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/csharpide/thread/0d8264fb-4aa1-4638-9fdf-e2369b4beef2 Anyone have any insight on this?
Advertisement
My understanding is that any parts of the executable are only loaded on-demand, whether executable code or resources. More importantly, if your program uses the file, it will have to be in RAM eventually. RAM requirements are not determined directly on the basis of EXE size anyway; the amount of RAM required to run your program efficiently will not suddenly double when the size of the EXE jumps from 5 to 10 MB, or even 10 to 20. Try it both ways. Chances are, RAM requirements are not the biggest issue in deciding whether to make your "large file" into a resource.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement