Plot Idea, need feedback

Started by
18 comments, last by Ominous 22 years, 8 months ago
Alrighty....you need to make somewhere within the story element an area of pre-arrival. For instance, if this civilization is that wide and intelligent enough to do this, why have''nt they come before?? Who''s to say they haven''t. But, now, they are in need of more testing. So, they return. This would start to explain the cryo sleeps you plan to put on our friends there.

Next, you need to realize that even if this is a ''fun'' game, you are still going to be sparked by some part of it, and creativity. There are certain games I will not touch, and others that I''ll play for hours, because it is fun to find something that is not found/given initially. When you make a story that has no reason for certain things happening, well, like this....

Why Luke? Why is Luke the key? Where did Boba Fett come from? Things get answered in certain ways, even when the story is over, and yet, still give way to more questions....what happened to make Darth Vader turn into a monster, instead of staying the Anakin we all knew and loved You see what I''m getting at? It''s one thing to ask about the subtle quirks in your story, it''s another to go, ''how are they gonna be able to store their rats, if they''ve never seen a rat before?

Finally, take your time with it. If you want max replay value without resorting to making pure kill!kill!kill!, then nurse your story a lot. I''m starting to realize writing in the real and for games is different, and sometimes so damn similar it''s ridiculous. You have to make things reasonable, not exact. You have to supliment fact, but still lay on some imaginative lies and deceptions to keep things open.

Anyhow, hope it goes good...and take care.

Also, I think a previous replier got a little math wrong, it wouldn''t be 13 years, it would be 103. Maybe play of of this with genome projects and such. Make the earth fully into classes. Scholars, warrior, workers, etc. This way, you would have a semi-plausible explanation for the advanced space searches......
Advertisement
Hey!

The first post was right. When I started reading your story I thought of The Dig!

Here's a spin of question: Where can I find the Dig?? Pleeeaaaassseee e-mail me or something! I really really really want it! I love those cartoonish click and think games! I played a demo of the Dig hundred of years ago (yeah, before I was born ) But I never bought it *sob* *sniff* Is there an abandonware site that has it? My mail is kabooomm@hotmail.com

Now back to your plot!

I thought it was a really good idea! You said in your first post that it wanted to test the physical and psycological powers of a species. That explains why it wants to "kill" you. I mean, if it can travel really far (I don't know how far) it has superior technology. And it doesn't take much to hurt an human being. Of course, if you decide that this is the first time the "probe" visits earth and encounters humans it wouldn't know HOW to kill it because it doesn't know what makes a human "tick". But something as easy as a person tripping over and falling to the ground hurting his head would give the fact that a blow to the head does seem to "disturbe" the human because it suddenly stopped doing what it was doing and sat down yelling or crying (showing emotions) and takin a special note to the blow.

Throughout the game it would try to "kill" you, but it doesn't know how. So in the beginning it might assume that a human has high mental powers (telekenises) and use that against you. But a human doesn't (not much explored at least) so those "weapons" would only give you a little headache. But through out the game, the character gets hurt, shows intelligence (picking up things and using them as weapons, opening "doors", etc.) and reveals much of itself. But at the same time the "probe" is doing a more refined medical approach on the captured speciment, the captain. Revealing more ways about what makes you "tick", and what stops you from "ticking"...

Is the probe "evil"? Does it really want to kill them? Or just find out what _does_ kill and try to find a "cure" for it??? Like a big hospital/research ship?

I've read somewhere that the only common thing intelligent beings would have would be _logic_. An intelligent creature must have an _logic_ way of thinking, or at least mathematical. "If I do this, that will happen" Maybe that isn't true, maybe our way of _logic_ is different from another race. But I still think that the biggest logical thing would be "for every action, there is a REaction". So the ship could have some more refined way of finding intelligent life. I mean, the idea of a hole in the side was very good! If it was a ship that was not meant to be entered. But this one is! Wasn't it the idéa to capture species (for whatever purpose)? Then it would have some way of "opening a door" to let the creature in, or _force_ it in somehow. If you decide to make a morphing ship, you could do this two ways. Either just let it "open", a part of the wall just "opens" (in a spooky kind of way) so that the explorers just can walk in. Or it could have seen humans before and actually make a "door", a wooden door or something else familiar. This would really spoke with your head!

I could go on and on it seems huh? But I'll stop for now and wait for your comments

EDIT - accidently made the whole text italic *annoying*

}+TITANIUM+{

Edited by - Seriema on July 20, 2001 4:27:12 AM
[ ThumbView: Adds thumbnail support for DDS, PCX, TGA and 16 other imagetypes for Windows XP Explorer. ] [ Chocolate peanuts: Brazilian recipe for home made chocolate covered peanuts. Pure coding pleasure. ]
Ok, here goes.

It''s a probe sent on a pre-calculated course to find and study, and bring back a specimen of a technically advanced species.
If the species can''t travel through space and enter the "probe"
then they fail and the probe would move on to it''s next target.
(And don''t ask any stupid questions like what if they just don''t care about the probe enough to go to it.)

Since it was damaged, all it''s logic and mechanical devices were tuned into a killing mechine. So if it was working properly it would just test them, mentally and physically. But since it''s in a scence busted the obstacal course tunrs into a slaughter house.
So it takes on a mind of it''s own.

Now you wonder how does it know about human anatomy, (WTHC) but for thoes that do, the alien species that sent the probe programmed it to find the best suitable match of anotomy, shape, and living environment.

And finally the reason it tests them is to gather the information needed in order for the alien species to know the weaknesses of the human species in order to expand their race and to conquer others.

All of the things in this game will tie into the sequal which will be more action orientated.

Are you going for story or 110% shoot-everything-that-moves?

Because... well it's too simple if you want a good story, but it's OK if you just want a reason to throw in some characters that's gonna blast robots all day long.

By the way, how good is a trained astronaut in combat? Just thinking of your team composition... Both ranged and close-combat? I think if Earth suspected that it was dangerous, and technology is that advanced that "normal" people (people not especially trained to _just_ live through the space flight like we have now, with all G-forces blabla) can travel using spaceships, then Earth would send some militias too! And if the probe looks advanced, not just like a rock (The Dig). Then maybe one or two engineers would be needed. Scientists are rearly sent into space, astronauts collect what's needed for them. But if the technology allows for "comfortable" space travel then maybe a scientist is part of the team?

PS. _ANYONE_ know where I can get the game "The Dig"????

EDIT - Who says a 110% shooter can't have a great story??

}+TITANIUM+{

Edited by - Seriema on July 22, 2001 9:57:47 AM
[ ThumbView: Adds thumbnail support for DDS, PCX, TGA and 16 other imagetypes for Windows XP Explorer. ] [ Chocolate peanuts: Brazilian recipe for home made chocolate covered peanuts. Pure coding pleasure. ]
quote:Original post by Ominous
Later it's found that it's a probe sent to collect data on every inhabitable planet it can find and if the planet is inhabited
collect a specimen of the dominant species. It also rates the defence capabilities of the species.

I would think the best way to rate the defence/combat skills of a species would be attempting to kill the specimen through a series of increasingly deadly encounters with hostile entities..

so there's a great reason for the probe to try and kill the player. You could also use a berzerkers style plot where if the probe finds a species that can pass certain tests or overcome certain obstacles, that species is classified as a threat and the probe dispatches some kind of weapon to destroy the homeworld of said species...

those are just 2 reasons off the top of my head and I'm sure there are many more plausible reasons for the probe to go postal.

just my $0.02

Edited by - CatalystJones on July 23, 2001 8:51:27 PM

CatalystJones wrote:
You could also use a berzerkers style plot where if the probe finds a species that can pass certain tests or overcome certain obstacles, that species is classified as a threat and the probe dispatches some kind of weapon to destroy the homeworld of said species...
quote:

That could make for a cool(?) twist in the plot. If the player manages to survive all the traps and dangerous things the ship throws at him, earth is destroyed Conversely, if he dies on the way, the aliens see that the human race is really weak and easy to kill, and they set out to conquer earth (for whatever reason)...
*lol* that''s a lose-lose situation! 8)

As I said, the dangers should increase. But with an logic. Weapons that might kill one race, may not be as effective to another. Like a special sound that makes the bones rattle of ONE species, just irritates a human, etc... Still, I don''t agree with the hole on the side for 2 reasons.
1) it''s not logical that a realy big spaceship with probably a _central computer system_ would go berserk if you cut of it''s right arm (read: take a piece away), now is it?
2) if it''s sent out to find "capable" subjects, then the hole only allows "stupid" races to enter. Like a space-fly, or something. While a door or somekind of logical entrance proves intelligence.

I just thought of something!! Will they find other creatures on board? Free someone from a stacis field and they become an ally? Or they could just help you out for a few moments before they get freezed again?

}+TITANIUM+{
Well actually I was toying with the idea of having a hostile alien species on board (somthing that had stowed away on a ship that entered the probe prior to the humans being there) somthing like the alien creatuires from the alien series. And changing a few things around to allow the ones who sent the probe to be on it but dead because the hostile aliens wiped them out and stayed alive by feeding off all the different species that enter the probe. So let''s add it all up.

Now the question is should I

1.) still keep the obsticle course and mix the aliens in it.

Or

2.) just have a busted infested ship and aliens the player has to fight.

If I went with one there would be alot of chaos and action with a killer obsticle course, and very hostile and powerful flesh eating blood thirsty aliens. This would allow for 3 sections
the first would be the obsticle course, the second would be the aliens nest. THe third would be where the probe species would have been to watch the obsticle course and the probe and just make sure the probe stayed in one piece.

2.) Everything is deserted and there are signs of a battle. And the player is separated from the rest of the team and he has to find his way back to the shuttle by fighting the hostiles and moving throughout the large maze like ship.

But I''ll need some second opinions.
I think having aliens on board will be very cool if you actually characterize them and describe their culture(s), and let them be NPCs or talkative bosses and minibosses, rather than mindless monsters. The humans could find alien graffiti in some of the corridors, a cache of alien objects in the trash where cleaner-bots have swept them, etc. Other than that I reiterate what I said in my first reply.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

I like your second alternative best. The seemingly deserted ship with signs of battles etc. Kinda like System Shock (that''s a great game by the way

In my opinion you should try to give the spaceship an eerie/spooky feel, rather than throw heaps of monsters at the player.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement