Interpolation (give coordinates, speed & time between 'position')

Started by
1 comment, last by Kitt3n 14 years, 7 months ago
Hello, Given: a set of coordinates (x/y) and a speed at this coordinates, and the time-delta between values is a constant millisecond (eg 100). Now I need to query on any give timestamp what the interpolated position would be. Lineair interpolation of the coordinates is working, but in fast turns with big speed differences between points it is a bit 'shaky'. Since I also know the speed, I was wondering if it's possible to use that to get better results? Any suggestions for an algorithm - or how to approach this problem? Regards
visit my website at www.kalmiya.com
Advertisement
I assume you have the velocity (speed and direction) not just the speed.

If you know the points you are heading for in advance then you can use some form of spline interpolation (I recommend Catmull-Rom as a good starting point). To get the correct results you will have to solve the spline for constant speed and then use the velocity you have stored to update the position down the spline.

If you don't know the points in advance then you need more information. If you store the angular velocity at each point then you can use that in your interpolation to get a more accurate solution when turning.
Yes, direction is also known at the coordinates - sorry for not mentioning that.
visit my website at www.kalmiya.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement