Sign in to follow this  
WaltN

OpenGL Game Programming II: Problem Building with VC++8

I'm just starting to work with the book CD -- Chapter 1/simple. I copied the simple folder to my C-drive and opened simple.sln. VC++8 launches and displays the solution structure. I find the Source Files folder for project simple, and I double-click main.cpp. I get an error dialog that says it can't read main.cpp from C:\Users\luke\... . There is no user luke on my system. If I try to build project simple, it can't find main.cpp, again trying to find it from user luke. When I browse project properties, I find that several items are bound to absolute paths C:\Users\luke\... . When I double-click main.cpp from explorer.exe, VC++8 opens it just fine. So I conclude that the problem must be in the solution file or project file, probably just the configuration. So, I ask: What is the basic problem? Am I missing something, probably basic? What were the authors' expectations regarding how readers would make use of these project and solution files with VC++8? Walt

That's just that whoever setup the project did a poor job if it and you'll have to rebuild the solution yourself. I've noticed a few book examples have done this and it's just shoddy on their part.

It sounds like the paths to the files are absolute paths.
You can either:
1: remove the cpp/h files from the project (make sure you choose "remove" and not "delete"!),
2: open the folder containing the cpp/h files using explorer,
3: drag n' drop the files back onto the project.

or you can try manually editing the "vcproj" on Notepad (or your favourite editor).

Whatever you do make sure you've got a backup of the files you're editing.

Andy

The problem I had was fixed in the August 29 bug fix release.

I did stumble around a bit because a solution file was not shipped, only a project file for simple, and the project would not open via a double-click on the project file. However, it can be opened by launching VC++ and explicitly opening the project from the File menu. That action creates a solution file in the absence of a pre-existing one.

I was all set to take Andy's advice and configure my own project, when I thought of taking a look at the "bug fixes." I wonder if "bug fixes" is the right term; it looks like a complete refresh.

Walt

Hi guys,

Yes I must apologise for the broken project files. This was caught a little too late and made it on to the CDs with the first print run. The second print run onwards have fixed project files.

There is a new version of the files here: http://www.kazade.co.uk/downloads/boglgp/

This version includes a few minor bug fixes. It fixes problems with recent AMD drivers, truncation of shader logs, some compilation warnings etc. I'll continue to post updates and bug fixes there if/when they are reported.

Sorry again, if you have any further issues just let me know, either via PM or this forum.

Luke.

Yes, it's refreshing to see someone support their product post-launch.

Suggestion: Why not have a link to the refresh download at the page cited in the book (http://glbook.gamedev.net/boglgp2/)?

Walt