OpenGL Game Programming II: Problem Building with VC++8

Started by
7 comments, last by Kazade 14 years, 7 months ago
I'm just starting to work with the book CD -- Chapter 1/simple. I copied the simple folder to my C-drive and opened simple.sln. VC++8 launches and displays the solution structure. I find the Source Files folder for project simple, and I double-click main.cpp. I get an error dialog that says it can't read main.cpp from C:\Users\luke\... . There is no user luke on my system. If I try to build project simple, it can't find main.cpp, again trying to find it from user luke. When I browse project properties, I find that several items are bound to absolute paths C:\Users\luke\... . When I double-click main.cpp from explorer.exe, VC++8 opens it just fine. So I conclude that the problem must be in the solution file or project file, probably just the configuration. So, I ask: What is the basic problem? Am I missing something, probably basic? What were the authors' expectations regarding how readers would make use of these project and solution files with VC++8? Walt
Advertisement
Forgive me. I repeatedly said "VC++8." I meant "VC++9," which is VC++ 2008.

Walt
That's just that whoever setup the project did a poor job if it and you'll have to rebuild the solution yourself. I've noticed a few book examples have done this and it's just shoddy on their part.

It sounds like the paths to the files are absolute paths.
You can either:
1: remove the cpp/h files from the project (make sure you choose "remove" and not "delete"!),
2: open the folder containing the cpp/h files using explorer,
3: drag n' drop the files back onto the project.

or you can try manually editing the "vcproj" on Notepad (or your favourite editor).

Whatever you do make sure you've got a backup of the files you're editing.

Andy

"Ars longa, vita brevis, occasio praeceps, experimentum periculosum, iudicium difficile"

"Life is short, [the] craft long, opportunity fleeting, experiment treacherous, judgement difficult."

The problem I had was fixed in the August 29 bug fix release.

I did stumble around a bit because a solution file was not shipped, only a project file for simple, and the project would not open via a double-click on the project file. However, it can be opened by launching VC++ and explicitly opening the project from the File menu. That action creates a solution file in the absence of a pre-existing one.

I was all set to take Andy's advice and configure my own project, when I thought of taking a look at the "bug fixes." I wonder if "bug fixes" is the right term; it looks like a complete refresh.

Walt
Hi guys,

Yes I must apologise for the broken project files. This was caught a little too late and made it on to the CDs with the first print run. The second print run onwards have fixed project files.

There is a new version of the files here: http://www.kazade.co.uk/downloads/boglgp/

This version includes a few minor bug fixes. It fixes problems with recent AMD drivers, truncation of shader logs, some compilation warnings etc. I'll continue to post updates and bug fixes there if/when they are reported.

Sorry again, if you have any further issues just let me know, either via PM or this forum.

Luke.
Member of the NeHe team.
@Kazade
Sorry for being harsh with my comment, it's good that you continue to support your books post-launch.

Andy

"Ars longa, vita brevis, occasio praeceps, experimentum periculosum, iudicium difficile"

"Life is short, [the] craft long, opportunity fleeting, experiment treacherous, judgement difficult."

@NineYearCycle

No worries, it wasn't harsh. I should have caught it earlier. I'm still kicking myself 4 months on :)
Member of the NeHe team.
Yes, it's refreshing to see someone support their product post-launch.

Suggestion: Why not have a link to the refresh download at the page cited in the book (http://glbook.gamedev.net/boglgp2/)?

Walt
@WaltN - I'm trying to get that done but unfortunately I don't have direct access to that page, so it's taking time.
Member of the NeHe team.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement