[.net] .net Framework 3.5

Started by
10 comments, last by vegi 14 years, 7 months ago
Hi, anyone knows if the .net 3.5 framework is automatically broadcasted by the windows update? I ask because i would like to know if a project with .net 3.5 code can be used on every windows xp and vista machine.
Advertisement
It is an optional update, so the user must actively select it to be installed.

Windows 7 includes the .net 3.5 SP1 out of the box.

Niko Suni

Quote:Original post by vegi
Hi,

anyone knows if the .net 3.5 framework is automatically broadcasted by the windows update?

I ask because i would like to know if a project with .net 3.5 code can be used on every windows xp and vista machine.

It cannot, but you can create an installer package that will automatically download .Net 3.5 for you.

Alternatively, you can deploy your application using the Mono framework. I've been told you can simply copy the necessary dlls along with your application for stuff like Linq (System.Core and the like). However, Mono does not support WPF at all - in this case you'll be forced to install the whole .Net package.

[OpenTK: C# OpenGL 4.4, OpenGL ES 3.0 and OpenAL 1.1. Now with Linux/KMS support!]

Thanks.

Is there a Converter to bring my .net code to mono ?
There is no need to convert the code if you use implemented features. They have a tool that checks your code and tells you where non supoorted featured are (so you have a fast way to define your mono compatibility).
Be warned, though, that while Mono is so good that it was able to handle a Client/Server Remoting application without changing code, it had a few problems with Windows Forms (related to a special layout setup) that we were unable to solve, so we couln't use Mono.

That was a year ago, things might be better now.
Thanks.

Is there a Converter to bring my .net code to mono ?

As signox1 said, there is a high probability that your code will run without modification. Install the latest version of Mono and run the Mono Migration Analyzer tool (MoMA). This will tell you if you are relying on any unimplemented features.

Depending on what 3.5 features you are using, you might be able to run your application on the vanilla .Net 2.0 framework simply by distributing a few Mono dlls with your application (like System.Core). You will have to test this before deploying in a production environment, however.

[OpenTK: C# OpenGL 4.4, OpenGL ES 3.0 and OpenAL 1.1. Now with Linux/KMS support!]

Seems like mono can´t handle a datagridview : /

-> no alternative for me
Seems like mono can´t handle a datagridview : /

-> no alternative for me

Are you sure about that? I knew there were many issues, but IIRC it is implemented, just not working 100%. And (always IIRC) their implementation became better at each release...
There are some parts that are still flaky, but DataGridView is mostly working in Mono 2.4.2+. You can test it and see what the results look like (just install mono 2.4 and launch your compiled application from the mono commandline).

I already tryed it. I tested the code with Moma and it says everything is alright but the mono exe shows no datagrids in my program.

Maybe because it is inside a tabControl.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement