Need C++ book recommendation for experienced programmer

Started by
19 comments, last by phresnel 14 years, 7 months ago
I'm looking for suggestions on a book that will help me bring my C++ skills up a few levels. I've been a C programmer for about 15 years. I've done a fair amount of work in C++ (and most recently in C#). I understand and use OO concepts but I'm far from being an expert. What I'm looking for is a book that will cover the more advanced aspects of C++ without glossing over the foundation too much. I don't want a recipe book or a 100 tips type of book. I also don't want a book then spends 300 pages teaching me how to write loops, use pointers, or create classes. Any suggestions? Thanks, Dumuzi
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Dumuzi
I don't want a recipe book or a 100 tips type of book.

I'm still recommending Effective C++ by Scott Meyers.
I recommend The C++ Primer. Beware that there's another book by a similar title. I haven't read that one, though. I've only read the one by Stanley B. Lippman et al. It's a great reference. Despite the 'Primer' in the title, I would not recommend it for beginners to programming.
You don't want tip books, but I recommend the Exceptional C++ series by Herb Sutter. It's written in a tip fashion, but many articles on a single section tend to blend together. It will go into many of the C++ pitfalls and what to do about them, which may be new to you coming from C (exception safety, multiple inheritance pitfalls, object lifetimes, etc.). As the former chair of the ISO committee, he also goes into many of the reasons why they choose to do things a certain way, which is always an interesting perspective to hear.
-- gekko
There's:

Some of my favorites:

Design Patterns by Erich Gamma, Richard Helm, Ralph Johnson, John, Vlissides
Large Scale C++ Software Design by John Lakos
C++ FAQ by Marshall Cline
Effective C++ by Scott Meyers
More Effective C++ by Scott Meyers
Effective STL by Scott Meyers

Cheers,

Bob

[size="3"]Halfway down the trail to Hell...
I've ready some of the above, and they were all great. My favorite C++ book which hasn't been mentioned is:

The C++ Programming Language - Special Edition
by Bjarne Stroustrup

The definitive C++ reference, written by C++'s creator. It's not generally recommended to C++ beginners, but being an experienced programmer you might follow it better. When I finally read it, I wished I had done so earlier. Good for knowing all the tiny details of the language (while the books mentioned above are probably better for tips on practical use). I guess it depends what type of person you are (I like to know all the details, then get practical tips).
Quote:Original post by DevFred
Quote:Original post by Dumuzi
I don't want a recipe book or a 100 tips type of book.

I'm still recommending Effective C++ by Scott Meyers.

A very good book for someone with a good C background.

Josuttis' C++ Standard Library will also be a good intro to the standard library, and is an adequate reference.
Thinking in C++ Vol 1 and 2. Both are available as free eBooks.

Steven Yau
[Blog] [Portfolio]

Quote:Original post by BeauMN
I've ready some of the above, and they were all great. My favorite C++ book which hasn't been mentioned is:

The C++ Programming Language - Special Edition
by Bjarne Stroustrup

The definitive C++ reference, written by C++'s creator. It's not generally recommended to C++ beginners, but being an experienced programmer you might follow it better. When I finally read it, I wished I had done so earlier. Good for knowing all the tiny details of the language (while the books mentioned above are probably better for tips on practical use). I guess it depends what type of person you are (I like to know all the details, then get practical tips).

Yes if you are an experienced C programmer this would be the book for you since it's actually aimed at C programmers converting to C++. I tried to read it before I knew C and it annoyed me because the author would keep bringing up all the differences from C and how stuff is done in C++ vs C. After learning C it was alot easier to read and made alot more sense. Definitely the authorative source and every C++ programmer needs to own a copy sooner or later.
Only downside is that the book is information dense kinda like the original K&R C book in that you have to read it slowly and carefully to make sure you got everything that was being said.

[Edited by - daviangel on September 9, 2009 2:21:41 PM]
[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe
My two cents for More Effective C++ by scott meyers

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement