Which digital tablet should I buy?

Started by
12 comments, last by PezMutanT 14 years, 7 months ago
Hi everyone! I'm thinking about getting me one of those and I've been searching the forum for some advise, but there are quite a few threads about this topic and they're a little outdated. I have to say it would be my first digital tablet and that I want a basic one, but not the crappiest one :) So, from what I read here, it seems like everyone is recommending Wacom tablets and nobody is mentioning Genius tablets. I've been looking at features that they both offer and it seems Genius are offering bigger and cheaper tablets than Wacom. Also, Genius ones have more pressure levels than the ones from Wacom. What's all that about? What advantages do Wacom offer? Are Genius a bad digital tablet brand and so they're cheap? Since I'm a complete newbie on this area, I'm asking for your suggestions here. I have narrowed it down to these four, but I would gladly accept any other suggestions. Remember I'm far from being a pro, just want something to begin with. Genius G-PEN F610 Ultra slim graphic tablet Genius MousePen 8 x 6-Inch Graphic Tablet for Home and Office Bamboo (Small) Pen Tablet with Pen Only Bamboo Fun (Small) Black Tablet with Pen, Mouse & Graphics Software I show Amazon prices just to pick one shop in order to compare the different tablets, not that I will buy it on Amazon. Also, I don't know why the prices on the latter two. In Wacom website, it looks like Bamboo Fun model is the highest (more expensive) on the Bamboo line, the second best is Bamboo (just Bamboo). Well, in Amazon they're prices are the other way around... why is that? Thanks a lot for your help! Cheers! ;)
Advertisement
I've never heard of Genius before. I've had a Wacom for several years now and haven't used anything other than a Wacom before.

There are really two big differences than those Genius tablets and the Wacom Bamboo series. The first is the actual pen technology. The Genius pens requires you to put a AAA battery into them, making them much more bulky. Wacom technology doesn't require a battery in your pen, so they are much more lighweight and ergonomic. Secondly is support. Wacom fairly frequently updates and improved their drivers. With Genius you're at the whim of a 2nd rate company.

My advice would be to go for a Wacom. You could even look for a good deal on a used Intuos3 or Graphire4.
laziness is the foundation of efficiency | www.AdrianWalker.info | Adventures in Game Production | @zer0wolf - Twitter
Thanks a lot zer0wolf, appreciate your opinion. I think I'm going to stick with a cheaper model, in the end I'm not sure I would take the advantage of buying an Intuos3 or Graphire4.

Thanks a lot! ;)

Any ideas about Genius anyone?
I have an Intuos2 that's pretty old , but I use it all the time, and it's a champ!
Thanks for your opinion, Pete Michaud :)

Can anyone help me with any of my questions?
I've got a bamboo fun and I don't make much use of the mouse that comes with it, but I make heavy use of the Corel Painter and Photoshop Elements that it comes with
I've been using a Wacom for years now. But if you're gonna shell out money for it you should get a medium sized one. My friend has a very large one but at that cost you'd be better off with a cintiq (tablet on a computer screen). For the levels of pressure alone it is worth it, but you can also rig the buttons for just the right task.
I needed to buy one earlier this year, and I sat down long and hard to look at the MousePen and the Bamboo. I mean, I literally read every review on the internet that I could find about both, and my Google skills are rather good. In the end I bought the Bamboo. There's a reason Wacom is considered the gold standard. The sheer precision and perfection in their tablets is unmatched.

Remember also that once you install the Wacom driver, the tablet's area represents the whole screen. When you get a bigger tablet, you gain more precision, but the cost is that you have to move a lot farther for the same strokes. It's not like a mousepad. What I decided was that even though it was smaller, the Bamboo was so precise that you'd be better off simply using the small size and it wouldn't be a problem. So I dropped the extra cash for the Bamboo, and you know what? No complaints, no regrets at all. The thing is a device of sheer brilliance -- and the packaging is worthy of Apple, for what that's worth.

Buy the Bamboo. Not the Bamboo Fun, unless you want the junk software for some reason.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Thanks a million for your responses! :)

I think I'm going for Wacom, from what I get here it's the reference on digital tablets. And I wanted something cheap, but also something trustable.

I think I'll buy Bamboo and I don't know why but its price has been increased on the very same link I posted a few days ago. I think I saw it on a local store and it was cheaper than the one on Amazon.com. Although it seems strange to me. This kind of devices are usually cheaper on the US than in Europe. Is Wacom an European brand?

Well, again, thanks a lot for your help! I really appreciate it.

Cheers! ;)
Sorry to bother you people again, but I've seen this one:

WACOM MTE450 Bamboo Pen Tablet with Pen & Graphics Software (Factory Refurbished)

Can anybody explain to me what can that "factory refurbished" mean? I'm asking beacause this is much cheaper than any other Bamboo I found. I would like to know if there's some "problem" with it :)

Well, thanks for your help again! ;)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement