Which book to get next?

Started by
6 comments, last by burnthepc 14 years, 7 months ago
I've been messing round with 3D graphics using D3D for a while and am looking for a good book to get my teeth into. I'm trying to decide between GPU GEMS: http://www.gamedev.net/columns/books/bookdetails.asp?productid=342&CategoryID=29 and Real Time rendering: http://www.gamedev.net/columns/books/bookdetails.asp?productid=21&CategoryID=10 Both a quite pricey so I can only buy one for the moment. I was wondering, those who have them already, what's the best buy? The Real Time rendering is one people say is a must have for graphics. One thing that detracts me from it is that it contains some of the basics I know. I've read a book or two on the subject already. I get the pipeline, the maths and the different matrix translations to create a 3d scene - is there a lot more to it? The GPU gems only covers shaders. I'm starting to think that once you've a handle on the basics of 3D hardware programming, shaders is where the real work is. Does that make this the better book?
Advertisement
gpu gems, you say it only covers shaders but that makes it sound rather limiting. I have it and I would recommend it. I've only actually used 2 or 3 of the articles in there but I've read them all and they are all very interesting and well worth a read.

Interested in Fractals? Check out my App, Fractal Scout, free on the Google Play store.

The first GPU Gems is now available in its entirety Here
Those who dance are considered insane by those who cannot hear the music.
If you know the basics already, perhaps you would be interested in our D3D10 book (see link in my signature below). It covers quite a few topics in some detail, but assumes some basic knowledge of the math and concepts involved. Plus it is free [grin].
Quote:Original post by terminate
The first GPU Gems is now available in its entirety Here

It certainly is.

In fact, GPU Gems 1, GPU Gems 2, and GPU Gems 3 are all free on the nVidia site.
while it's true that the GPU Gems series focuses exclusively on shaders, implementing the majority of the techniques presented within them requires a working knowledge of the full 3d pipeline.

For instance, for geometry clipmapping, you need to set up a bunch of vertex and index buffers. For atmospheric scattering, you need to set up a skydome. For both, you need a camera. etc.

That being said I love the GPU Gems series, and plus they're free!
There is a 3rd edition of the Real-Time Rendering book. All the editions cover a lot more than just the maths. The newer editions cover additional stuff rather than replacing earlier things so the older editions will still be useful.

It is worth noting that all three of the books concentrate on describing techniques rather than providing detailed descriptions of how to implement them.

You can find the table of contents for all 3 editions on Amazon if you want to compare them.

I have a copy of the 1st edition I don't need any more - I've got the 3rd edition now. As you're in the UK, I can pop in the post for you if you want it? PM me with your address if you're interested.
Thanks guys - you've saved me a bit of money there. I'll be spending between now and xmas looking over the GP Gems and the D3D online.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement