Sign in to follow this  
Shael

Unit Selection Effect

What the general method of doing a unit selection effect in RTS games? I want to draw a circle around the unit on the ground so I was thinking maybe projection texturing might be what I need? Let me know your ideas! :)

For my game (a screenshot is available here) I use a single textured quad with a pixel shader to give the circular "halo" effect. The quad is aligned with unit (so if it's a tank that's going down a hill, the quad will be pointing down as well) and offset from the ground slightly - I don't project it directly on the terrain, because I think it looks better that it's clearly separate from the terrain.

The one problem I have is that since I'm using a pixel shader to generate the "halo" effect, it doesn't get anti-aliased with the rest of the scene, so it looks slightly out of place. But I can probably fudge something up that looks better, or switch to using a simple texture instead of a pixel shader, or something...

Looks fairly decent, however that prob wouldn't work for me because I sort of wanted to make my unit selection "circle" also be the range the unit can attack or "see". If it were this oriented circle like you proposed then it'd probably intersect the terrain and look a bit weird.

I'm open to all ideas though. Also how is "Fog of War" usually achieved in mot commercial RTS titles?

When it comes to things like this, I usually tend to try and think outside of the box.
1. highlight the unit
2. little arrows/bullseye ontop of the unit
3. Look at how they did it in popular games, you could just highlight the terrain as you wanted, in your pixel shader etc, you could just highlight an area.

I hope this helps!
Take care!

I have looked at similar games and I want a similar effect like in "Rise of Legends" where they have that red line drawn around the units.

Like this: http://illusionaldesign.net/rol_01.jpg