SDL or GLUT with windows Vista question

Started by
5 comments, last by grimfang4 14 years, 7 months ago
Hello, I am developing a 2D game with SDL and Opengl. Doing that together with a friend. I am on XP and he is running Vista. SDL on Vista = not working. So we have a communication problem. Should I wait for SDL update to Vista? (How long can that be?) Or should I go to GLUT. (Rather a step back?) And yes ther are other lib's out there but I prefer to stick with lib's that are common in use. What are You thinking? What would You do? Thanks, Renran
Advertisement
SDL does work on Vista. Something else is wrong. Are you using the same compiler? Maybe fish around for a SDL.dll that was built on Vista if nothing else works.
nothing is worth using glut imho, it's way too outdated.
I don't see how sdl wouldn't work, there must be something wrong with your setup.
Try finding out at what point it fails.
Yeah SDL works great on Vista, something else is wrong.

If you switch libraries every time you run into something like this, you will not get very far.
Ok, thanks all,

But we are not switching lib's here.
I make the game in XP and then he is testing the output
on Vista.
And he has problems making it running on Vista.
But why?

Renran
Quote:Original post by Renran
I make the game in XP and then he is testing the output
on Vista.
And he has problems making it running on Vista.
But why?
Which compiler are you using? Perhaps your friend need to install the redist package for your compiler?
We could help better if you fully describe what is happening on Vista. Where do things go wrong? Compile time? Link time? Run time?
If it's run time, then you have to make sure that all of the necessary dll's are in the same folder as the executable. For my games, these are usually SDL.dll, SDL_image.dll, SDL_ttf.dll, libfreetype-6.dll, libpng12-0.dll, and zlib1.dll.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement