3D engine for game....

Started by
7 comments, last by Captain P 14 years, 7 months ago
So, we have this project at school where we're gonna make a game through the year, to be finished this spring. So, my group is gonna make this racing-like game, and I'd really like to make the game in 3D if possible. Problem is that we do not learn about 3D programming until after new year, meaning we'll have to learn it on our own before then if we wanna use it in the project. Question is; which libraries should we use for this? Ogre3D? SDL? Both? Any other libraries that can be used? PS: The game is gonna be written in C++, mainly for the Windows platform.
Advertisement
Not trying to sound mean here or anything, but if you've got any sort of time constraint, which it sounds like you do, and if you lack experience in the field, which it sounds like you do, and if this is for a grade, which it sounds like it is, don't do it. Go with 2D.

FlyingIsFun1217
In C++ in an engine you don't know and a field you don't know, I doubt you'd get a decent result for yourselves or the course in the end.

If you are willing to put a lot of time in and use a graphics and physics engine then it might be possible in XNA. Do you have to do it in C++?
Portfolio & Blog:http://scgamedev.tumblr.com/
I realize that there are constraints that makes this hard. I don't intend to use the 3D in the project unless I'm sure it will work out. But wanna give it a shot at learning the 3D even if we'd end up not using it.

And yes, I'm limited to C++ for this, XNA won't be a possibility.
I am using Ogre3D with OIS and SDL for input. It is very easy and after some tutorials at www.ogre3d.org you will have a 3d-demo up and running in no time.

Actually I don't think it will take any longer doing the client with Ogre3d that an average 2d engine. Modeling the 3d objects might take time thou.
Do not do 3D. I don't care how ambitious you feel, I do not recommend it.
To begin with, we thought to just make it very simple, with a sphere rolling down a slope. So it's not that complicated in terms of models.

But, if this really is a bad idea, maybe I should just give up on it.
you need to show a mock up of how its gonna look
even draw it on a page + take a photo of that + post it, alternatively post the design gameplay document.
Then ppl could advise better.

though SDL is always good for a games basis
Quote:Original post by Witchsong
To begin with, we thought to just make it very simple, with a sphere rolling down a slope. So it's not that complicated in terms of models.

But, if this really is a bad idea, maybe I should just give up on it.

That doesn't sound too complex. A race game is a whole step up from that though - likely involving adding a physics library to the mix, and modeling a world and some cars... But it's not terribly difficult if you know what you're doing and if you keep things simple. I'd say, give Ogre 3D a try (+ SDL for input, sure), see how fast you can get that sphere visible and rolling. Perhaps you'll find it's not that hard - then go for it. But if it's taking you too much time to get started, then going for something 2D may be better for now.
Create-ivity - a game development blog Mouseover for more information.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement