• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Trouble with FindFirstFile (Win32)

This topic is 3081 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, the following code uses to work fine (it finds all the files I'm looking for) until I try to edit any of those files (using fopen and then fclose, I'm pretty sure I close them correctly before I try to list them again). After that, the FindFirstFile stops finding my files returning INVALID_HANDLE_VALUE, as if they wouldn't exist. Here is the code:
WIN32_FIND_DATA FindFileData;
HANDLE hFind = INVALID_HANDLE_VALUE;

hFind = FindFirstFile("entities\*.ent", &FindFileData);

if (hFind == INVALID_HANDLE_VALUE) 
{
	std::cerr << "cFileListing::GetNumFiles - directory/files not found.\n";
	return -1;
}
int nNumFiles = 1;

while (FindNextFile(hFind, &FindFileData) != 0)
{
	nNumFiles++;
}
FindClose(hFind);

What's going on? Any clue?

Advertisement
Perhaps you change your current directory?
So that the path is no longer valid. Try using an absolute path (as in 'C:\...etc).

I tried using the absolute path and it finally worked fine. Thanks. Why does it happen only if my program reads one of the files in the path?

Most likely something is changing the working directory. There are a few ways the working can change (e.g. calling GetOpenFileName).

In general, it's not a good idea to rely on the working directory remaining consistent throughout the life of your program. What I usually do is when the program starts up, save off the working directory and manually combine that saved working directory with any relative paths I want to use.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement