Sign in to follow this  
Pandamoneum

Getting into IT

So... I'm majoring in computer science but the university I'm attending doesn't deal with game dev much and the classes they do have are POORLY taught. So I've decided I would like to give this a go on my own (when I have time). Before I begin, what do you feel I need to know? Do I need to know openGL inside and out? And also, were do I even start!? I know you can't just throw an image on the screen right away and make it move or just sit there. I've been looking around but I just can't find out the answer on just where to start. If anyone could answer these qustions I would appreciate it very much! And if you have extra info. or links you would like to toss in, that would be great also.

I would suggest c#/xna for the simple fact its easy, leads on to more things and theres some great support for it.

there's some video tutorials here:
http://creators.xna.com/en-US/education/gettingstarted

Obviously you'll want to read about a bit too and I can't help much with that but do give a few of those tutorials a try, try modding them a bit then maybe think up somehting you would like to make from scratch.

There is no need to know OpenGL inside out to make a game, actually there is no need to know it at all. You can simply use an existing rendering engine, there are plenty available, and you are ready to go create a game with it. For example 3D engines like OGRE and Irrlicht allow you to start quickly on a 3D game without the 'joy' of spending ages trying to create an engine yourself.

Quote:
Original post by Pandamoneum
Do I need to know openGL inside and out?

I think the primary goal should never be to know something inside out (what ever that means to you). If you choose to work with OpenGL you'll simply gain experience over time.

Like the previous posters said, if you want to start right away, you probably want to look into some higher level framework or engine that supports the language you feel most comfortable with.

I've done XNA tuts before, I just figured (even though my guess is an inexperienced one) that more game devs would be using C++ so I wanted to get more into that. I don't NEED to start right away, it just would be nice. I've already taken some C++ classes, but not many. I have gone through Data Structures though.

How do you guys/gals think I should dive into this? What downloads should I make, etc.

I'm going to be using MSVS '08, if that makes a difference.

Well you could start with learning C++ and openGL / DirectX stuff ... ... or you do it the 'fun-way' and start with XNA/C#. You can learn many things about the differences between application development and game programming using XNA and have fun, while seeing fast results.

Another way would be to search amazon's used Book corners for cheap Books (there are many) and start with what you can get there.