Starting with PHP

Started by
22 comments, last by demonkoryu 14 years, 7 months ago
Quote:Original post by Hunter_Ex
I just had to recommend e Text Editor its wonderful, I use for all my text-editor needs and PHP is one of them ;).

FTFY :)
I use e too... code snippets rule. :P
But PHPEdit is handy for large projects. And it has a great debugger.
Advertisement
notepad++ is the way forward for PHP, i dont feel IDE's are really needed
Quote:Original post by Hunter_Ex
I just had to recommend [link]http://www.e-texteditor.com/[/link] its wonderful, I use for all my text-editor needs and PHP is one of them ;).

OT. what are the tags for links?? (obviously not [link][/link]

FAQ on tags.
I've been using phpDesigner for some time now. I'm using phpDesigner 2008 at the moment and it's great.
You'll have to pay for it, but if you're thinking of working with web design it's worth it. I think.
They've got a couple of different price plans and a 21 day trial at the web site.
And their program doesn't only support PHP. You can work with highlighted syntax in CSS, XHTML, &#106avascript, XML, C#, Python, Java, SQL and more.<br>I'm really satisfied with it.<br><br>If you're not up for buying anything, I'd recommend Notepad (or as previously written Notepad++ if you want highlighted syntax).
Quote:Original post by tre
I'd recommend Notepad

Uhm, seriously?
Yeah, why not? The IDE's only provide syntax highlights. Before I bought my IDE I programmed XHTML, CSS and PHP in regular old Notepad. You only need a browser and ISS or Apache (or any other server) installed to program.
There's not really a need for fancy programs, it's just easier with them, I think :)
I am currently using UltraEdit and Eclipse for php programming, depending on "project size".

Links:

http://www.eclipse.org/pdt/

http://www.ultraedit.com/
Yeah, why not? The IDE's only provide syntax highlights. Before I bought my IDE I programmed XHTML, CSS and PHP in regular old Notepad. You only need a browser and ISS or Apache (or any other server) installed to program.
There's not really a need for fancy programs, it's just easier with them, I think :)

It indeed trains your eye, but honestly, notepad is an abomination for anything beyond configuration files. And if it's only for the fact that I can't configure the tabulator to emit 8 space chars, or the inability to do regex search/replace, or just that I must type a <alt>+<region dependent shortcut key> combo to find text distinctly before or behind the current caret position, but excluding a whole file search, making it impossible to use search as a file navigation tool. Oh, and how do you enable line numbers? Apart from that there's no goto-line functionality.

On mainstream Linux distros, recommending the bundled standard text editors like gedit on GNOME or Kate on KDE, which in fact are not only simple text editors but include syntax highlighters and more facilities, would be okay. But Notepad, ..., honestly, I would even recommend vi on the console or not over Notepad to beginners.

Even nano and Pico (which are like vi and emacs programs running on a terminal) have syntax-highlighting, regex-search and a lot of configurability.

Aside from that all, with Emacs you even have a second integrated operating system.

Btw, Vi would have the free advantage of letting you appear very leet in some circles.

Okay, jokes aside: A comparison of text-editors can be found here.
Quote:Original post by phresnel

It indeed trains your eye, but honestly, notepad is an abomination for anything beyond configuration files. And if it's only for the fact that I can't configure the tabulator to emit 8 space chars, or the inability to do regex search/replace, or just that I must type a <alt>+<region dependent shortcut key> combo to find text distinctly before or behind the current caret position, but excluding a whole file search, making it impossible to use search as a file navigation tool. Oh, and how do you enable line numbers? Apart from that there's no goto-line functionality.

On mainstream Linux distros, recommending the bundled standard text editors like gedit on GNOME or Kate on KDE, which in fact are not only simple text editors but include syntax highlighters and more facilities, would be okay. But Notepad, ..., honestly, I would even recommend vi on the console or not over Notepad to beginners.

Even nano and Pico (which are like vi and emacs programs running on a terminal) have syntax-highlighting, regex-search and a lot of configurability.

Aside from that all, with Emacs you even have a second integrated operating system.

Btw, Vi would have the free advantage of letting you appear very leet in some circles.

I've no objections to the above, at all.
I merely wanted to make a point that you don't need a fancy IDE :) I also made my first recommendation to be phpDesigner, which I'm currently using and loving. I also recommended Notepad+.
I began coding HTML and later CSS and even PHP in Notepad before I began to look for IDE's for larger projects.

That's all I'm saying.
Quote:Original post by phresnel

I've no objections to the above, at all.
I merely wanted to make a point that you don't need a fancy IDE :) I also made my first recommendation to be phpDesigner, which I'm currently using and loving. I also recommended Notepad+.
I began coding HTML and later CSS and even PHP in Notepad before I began to look for IDE's for larger projects.

That's all I'm saying.

Hm. Then all you need is an assembler for your target machine. That is, if you are not low level hardware savvy. But if you are hardware savvy, just download or order a copy of the cpu specs from your cpu vendor. It's all you need ;)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement