C programming structure char arrays

Started by
15 comments, last by LordCube 14 years, 7 months ago
Hey, I'm programming using SDL and C in DevC++. I am trying to create a struct array and within each struct have a char array. struct console_struct { int letteramount; int linewidth; int currentletter; int currentwidth; char lineletter[100]; }; struct console_struct console[CON_history]; However after I compile my code and start writing into the array I find its only like 8 chars long. The odd thing about it is when I change the specified size of the array (100) to something like 52. Then the array suddenly appears to be a different size but still not 52 chars long. Could any one please enlighten me into what I have done wrong and how to correct my problem?
Advertisement
How did you determine the array is only 8 characters large,and not 100 as specified?
I hope it's not strlen :)
If you can show us the code where you write to the array we might be able to help out more.
scottrick49
I have been debugging using printf etc. It returns garble once it passes 8 or so characters. The project is also visual. It's a type of console that I'm making where I can type into it. The lineletter arrays are each line of the console.

I have got the program to display what I type into the line. So when lineletter is defined as [100] and I type into the console it suddenly stops recieving input.

Input into the console is written like so
// Add character to the current console string
console[fastvar].lineletter[fastvar2+1] = '\0';
console[fastvar].lineletter[fastvar2] = c;
TTF_SizeText(font, console[fastvar].lineletter, &console[fastvar].linewidth, NULL);

Im positive that the problem lies in where the structure is defined.
Just been messing around with it.
Rearranged it to this again

#define maxletter 100
struct console_struct
{
char lineletter[CON_maxletter];
int letteramount;
int linewidth;
int currentletter;
int currentwidth;
};
struct console_struct console[CON_history];

Compile, Run, *ERROR
Compile, Run, *ERROR
Compile, Run, works now?? wth?

Do you think this is the compilers fault?
Quote:Original post by LordCube
Compile, Run, *ERROR
Compile, Run, *ERROR
Compile, Run, works now?? wth?

Do you think this is the compilers fault?

No, and neither is the struct at fault. Some other part of your code is corrupting the stack/heap by writing to one of the arrays with an out of bound index, for example.
Can you define "error", define "works", and maybe show some relevant source code? What are "fastvar" and "fastvar2"?
Not working again :(

// PART OF GLOBALS.H#define CON_history 25    // INIT // Amount of lines to go in console history#define CON_width 800     // INIT // Width of the Application goes here#define CON_height 600    // INIT // Height if the Application goes here#define CON_lineh 15      // INIT // Height of each line - can be font h#define CON_depth 10       // INIT // Amount of lines shown on console drop#define CON_alpha 192     // INIT // Amount of alpha console background has#define CON_dropspeed 5   // INIT // Speed that the console drops down#define CON_maxletter 100 // INIT // Maximum amount of letters to go in a console lineextern int CON_pixeldepth;extern int CON_cursorblink;extern int consoletimer;extern int shiftdown;int shiftdown;int CON_pixeldepth;int CON_cursorblink;int consoletimer;/* Create the Console Array */struct console_struct{         char lineletter[CON_maxletter+1];     int letteramount;     int linewidth;     int currentletter;     int currentwidth;};struct console_struct console[CON_history];// MAIN LOOPwhile (!quit)    {        Update_game();                /* Check for events */        while (SDL_PollEvent(&event))        {            switch (event.type)            {                case SDL_MOUSEBUTTONDOWN:                     if (event.type==SDL_MOUSEBUTTONDOWN) {                        // Mouse button down code here                     }                     break;                case SDL_MOUSEBUTTONUP:                     if (event.type==SDL_MOUSEBUTTONUP) {                        // Mouse button up code here                     }                     break;                case SDL_MOUSEMOTION:                     if (event.type==SDL_MOUSEMOTION) {                        // Mouse motion code goes here                     }                     break;                case SDL_KEYDOWN:                     if (event.type==SDL_KEYDOWN) {                        // Record current key pressed                        current_key = event.key.keysym.unicode;                        current_code = event.key.keysym.scancode;                        // If shift is down                        if ((current_code == 54)||(current_code == 42))                           shiftdown = 1;                        // Report key pressed                        printf("%d\n", current_code);                        // Input key into the console                        Console_Input(current_key);                        // If the key was esc then close app                        if (current_code == 1)                           quit = 1;                     }                     break;                case SDL_KEYUP:                     if (event.type==SDL_KEYUP) {                        current_key = 0;                        shiftdown = 0;                     }                     break;                case SDL_QUIT:                     if (event.type==SDL_QUIT) {                        // Quit code here                        quit = 1;                     }                     break;                default:                     break;                if (current_key > 0) {                      switch(current_key){                           /* Escape Key */                           case 1:                                quit = 1;                                break;                      }                 }            }        }    }    shutdown();    return 0;// CONSOLE INPUT/* Function to take and add pressed characters to the screen */void Console_Input(key){         // If the enter key was pressed     if (current_code == 28) {        AcceptConsoleCommand();        ClearConsoleInputLine();     }     // If the key was backspace delete the last input     if (current_code == 14) {        if (console[CON_history].letteramount > 1) {           console[CON_history].lineletter[console[CON_history].letteramount-1] = '\0';           console[CON_history].letteramount--;           TTF_SizeText(font, console[CON_history].lineletter, &console[CON_history].linewidth, NULL);           consoletimer = 0;           return;        }     }     // Create fastvar variables     int fastvar = CON_history;     int fastvar2 = console[fastvar].letteramount;     // Insert Space if it was pressed     if (current_code == 57) {        InsertChar(' ');     }     // Insert special char if pressed     // '-'     if (current_code == 12) {        if (shiftdown == 1) {           InsertChar('_');           return;        }        InsertChar('-');        return;     }     // ','     if (current_code == 51) {        if (shiftdown == 1) {           InsertChar('<');           return;        }        InsertChar(',');        return;     }     // '.'     if (current_code == 52) {        if (shiftdown == 1) {           InsertChar('>');           return;        }        InsertChar('.');        return;     }     // Make sure key is a valid alpha numeral     if (isalnum(key)==0)        return;     // if shift is down     if (shiftdown == 1)        key = toupper(key);     // Convert to a character     char c = (char)key;     // If there is a space free for a new letter     if (console[CON_history].letteramount == CON_maxletter) {        return;     }     // Add character to the current console string     console[fastvar].lineletter[fastvar2+1] = '\0';     console[fastvar].lineletter[fastvar2] = c;     TTF_SizeText(font, console[fastvar].lineletter, &console[fastvar].linewidth, NULL);     // If the line is too long for this character     if (console[fastvar].linewidth >= CON_width) {        console[fastvar].lineletter[fastvar2] = '\0';        TTF_SizeText(font, console[fastvar].lineletter, &console[fastvar].linewidth, NULL);     } else {        // If the line is small enough to fit this character        console[CON_history].letteramount += 1;     }}

[Edited by - Zahlman on September 10, 2009 8:19:09 PM]
Quote:Original post by LordCube
Not working again :(

// ...struct console_struct console[CON_history];// ...        if (console[CON_history].letteramount > 1) {           console[CON_history].lineletter[console[CON_history].letteramount-1] = '\0';           console[CON_history].letteramount--;           TTF_SizeText(font, console[CON_history].lineletter, &console[CON_history].linewidth, NULL);// ...

All of these accesses to the 'console' array are out of bounds.

By the way, where do all these magic numbers for 'current_code' come from? And what kind of variable name is 'fastvar'?

And where is the code to move lines down in the array?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement