Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Drakonite

Cheap hobiest console dev kit.

Zole    122
Yeah, this thread''s heart is in the right place, but Nintendo is not going to be receptive. It has already been mentioned that Nintendo does not want any inexperienced developers working on their systems; if you''re interested in developing for a system you''re better off using the homebrew tools and the linker cartridges mentioned above.

Incidentally, someone mentioned the PSX as being hard to develop for, but I''ve heard the opposite from many sources. By comparison the Sega Saturn was a bitch to develop for. Then Sega''s next system is a breeze, and Sony''s next system is even worse than the Saturn. What a crazy industry. I believe Shigeru Miyamoto said in an interview that "[Sony] has actually made a system that is harder to program than the N64."

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
I''m in.
but just one thing, how do you think the guys at the big N will feel when thier e-mail is sudenly fluded w/ extra e-mail. A petion(sp?) is a much better idea. You still get your point across and in the same numbers. Also shows you''ve put some effort into the project.

-Lester

Scarab0    122
Yeah! Count me in for the SNES-kit. :D

Dirk "Scarab" Gerrits

''If knowledge is power, than to be unknown is to be unconquerable.''
- Unknown Romulan Centurion

SkyRat    122
Why do you want the DEV tools from the companys anyway? There are several free compilers, tools and tutorials out there for free. You cant get it cheaper than free. So if you want to develop for Cybiko, Gameboy, GB Advance, GP32, NeoGeoPocket or Dreamcast (I''m sure there are tools for SNES too but dont know where to find them) check out http://www.devrs.com/ for infos.

Humanity''s first sin was faith; the first virtue was doubt

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
sega might be quite willing to give out cheap dev kits for the megadrive now that theyve moved out of the hardware market

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
add me to the list!
i''m not toooo sure about gettin a psx dev kit (sony is very very evil ) but i think that nintendo releasing a cheap snes dev kit wud be awesome!! it might even bring some life back to the old system
~~KaMiKaZ~~

LeMatsch    122
"sega might be quite willing to give out cheap dev kits for the megadrive now that theyve moved out of the hardware market"

I guess not...
dev kits, at least for cartridge-based systems, requires the production of new hardware to connect the systems.
And if they won''t produce any more game hardware, how are the odds they''re gonna make that kind of hardware...

Besides...
cartridge based dev kits would be indeed quite useless unless the mentioned "copy stations" were more common

so practically, there''s only the psx left (who does actually own a genesis with cd or a saturn?)

of course they won''t release the official dev kits... not for such a low price. But the yarozee-thing seemed quite alright in my eyes. I think that''s the best thing we can get.
I think we should go for convincing sony to sell them again...

my 2.3 €-cent

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
Looking at the facts, there''s no point in developing for consoles. The way that PCs are going, the game market will be overpowered by PCs. Consoles are becoming less popular everyday. Sure, everyone may have a console in their home, but the probability have them having more than one console is almost non-existant. Now the chances of a gamer having more than one PC is extremely high.

Although PSX2, Dreamcast, and X-Box are supposed to be the next generation of gaming consoles, they closely resemble PCs. Given enough time, those PC-like consoles will disappear and only PCs will be in great supply.

Seeing as most of you want to develop console games as hobbies... Instead, suggest to the console manufacturers to create console systems for hobbiests not ask for cheap or free SDKs for current systems.

Of course, that''s just my opinion.

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
What about the GameSpark''s GP32? (www.gp32.com)
It''s a handheld similar to GBA but the company offers SDK to independent developers just for free (well, u need VC++ and DX7 )... And also support... Check this one out!

Jedyte    122
Yes! SNES-dev kit sounds great!
Contrary to a PS kit, you might get some if there are old ones lying around. PS is too new, and, heck, who''d want to develop for PSX?!?

Count me in.

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
Not to be greedy or anything, but where''s my XBox dev kit?

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
Sorry everybody, but I don''t see the point of this. Why can''t we just develop for PCs? They don''t cost much to develop for and can easily throw out performance capable of matching the SNES. A little bit of common sence wouldn''t do any bad now, would it? Well, maybe.

Anywho, good luck guys. You''re going to need it.

Kwizatz    1392
Hey guys,

well, if you get the SDK, thats great, but if you dont, dont get sad, and head to

napalm look for duke''s page, PS2 development
Paradogs look for libs, and compilers for psx on tools
psxdev Daniel Balster COMPLETE PSX SDK for Linux
Padua Resource Documents on System calls, GTE, SPU and GPU for PSX

and start doing some real console hacking.

See you

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
Look everybody. I''m may not be into all of this programming stuff, but don''t you all think that it is a bit sad to try and develop for a console that only old farts care about? If you really want to develop games, you may as well stick with a PC. Consoles are losing their popularity by the minute, and PCs - as much as I hate to say it - will become the future of technology. I like to think of myself as a casual gamer, even though I have owned a Playstation, N64 and Dreamcast, and even though they may beat the PC in terms of fun games, they WILL die out, simply because people won''t want them.

The N64 vs PSX is a classic example of this. The N64 easily beats the PlayStation with it''s games, but people chose the PSX becaues it was ''cool''. So what? The N64 had the best games and that''s all that counts. People don''t realise this, however. Unfortunately, though, this is what is happening with consoles vs the PC. The PC isn''t exactly cool, but consoles still appear to the general public as geeky, whereas the PC is designed for all of the family.

You lot should just stick to developing for the PC. But if you really want my advise, go out and get some fresh air.

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
Looking at the facts, there''s no point in developing for consoles. The way that PCs are going, the game market will be overpowered by PCs. Consoles are becoming less popular everyday. Sure, everyone may have a console in their home, but the probability have them having more than one console is almost non-existant. Now the chances of a gamer having more than one PC is extremely high.

Although PSX2, Dreamcast, and X-Box are supposed to be the next generation of gaming consoles, they closely resemble PCs. Given enough time, those PC-like consoles will disappear and only PCs will be in great supply.

Are you serious? Consoles will disappear? Then why is the entire PC gaming industry worried? YOU may be too biased to see the facts, but consoles are here to stay, just like PC''s will always have a market for games.

I really doubt Nintendo {the real evil} would sell any dev kits. They DO NOT want unliscensed games floating around, even for a dead system. They would still want a piece of any money made from these games. You are better off trying to get a kit from Sega or Turbografix or 3DO, someone who no longer is in the hardware business and would be eager to unload unused hardware.

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
Actually, the one who should get some fresh air is you, my friend. It''s not the technology that drives a game, it''s the gameplay that drives a game. Give me a copy of River City Ransom (ATLUS, GET OFF YOUR ASSES AND MAKE ANOTHER ONE!!!!!) over The Bouncer anyday. As a hobbyist, I''d much rather develop for an older system because of the possibility of fun. As a professional, however, I''d want to develop for a newer console, because, obviously, older consoles aren''t marketable anymore.

The idea of this thread is a good idea, but I think the possiblity of it happening is pretty slim. I am going to look into dev kits, though.