How do I create a payment system?

Started by
5 comments, last by sdkudrgn88 14 years, 7 months ago
For example, let's say that I release a game commercially, and that I make registration keys / software downloads available online for a fee. Also suppose that I can only use PayPal. How do I create a PayPal payment system that takes the user to a download right after he or she pays the money? I have no experience in this field (of payment systems), so could somebody please point me to a resource or answer the question?
Apparently, there is already another "Dragon88" round these parts. Don't worry, it's just a coincidence.
Advertisement
The first result of a google search for "paypal api" returned this page: API Integration Summary.
Quote:Original post by Codeka
The first result of a google search for "paypal api" returned this page: API Integration Summary.

Thanks, I didn't think to search for an API. (Yeah, like I said, I have no experience in this field... only a small bit in actual game design.)
Apparently, there is already another "Dragon88" round these parts. Don't worry, it's just a coincidence.
Quote:Original post by sdkudrgn88
Thanks, I didn't think to search for an API. (Yeah, like I said, I have no experience in this field... only a small bit in actual game design.)
Fair enough... half the battle is figuring out the keywords to search for :-)
Fair enough... half the battle is figuring out the keywords to search for :-)

Oh, yeah, another thing, I looked at the API documentation, and it only describes 3/4 of the process, all the way through to the part where the payment is finished.

But after the payment is finished, I need to create an automated script to send a download link to the file. Are there any tutorials on that, or should I just try and figure it out myself?
From what I can gather, the "Order Confirmation" page is a page on your website. PayPal gives you an authorization code that you can use to confirm recipt of payment. If you look at this diagram, you can see that after they log in and confirm their shipping information, PayPal redirects them back to your site where you call DoExpressCheckoutPayment API to actually make the payment. At that point, you can redirect them to your download page or whatever.
From what I can gather, the "Order Confirmation" page is a page on your website. PayPal gives you an authorization code that you can use to confirm recipt of payment. If you look at this diagram, you can see that after they log in and confirm their shipping information, PayPal redirects them back to your site where you call DoExpressCheckoutPayment API to actually make the payment. At that point, you can redirect them to your download page or whatever.

Thank you very much. Now I think I can handle it... XD

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement