Video Game Development

Started by
4 comments, last by Tom Sloper 14 years, 7 months ago
I am interested in developing some video games. Who can I hire to produce a video game for me? Are there any development studios that will do this type of work? If you can help me out with this I would really appreciate it.
Advertisement
Edit: sorry for my bluntness, I was a bit rushed... it might have been taken as annoyance, which it wasn't. Here is a better message:

First, you need to have a idea, and it has to be one a team will work on. Then, you have to have quite a bit of money, depending on the size of the team. Although, if you have little to no experience in the field, I suggest doing research into the design of game development.

Here is a sample "pitch" document from one company:

http://gamecareerguide.com/thesis/080903_ShredNebula_pitch.pdf

As for finding a team, you may try to present an idea to a company(Microsoft, etc)
-----------------------Are you breaking into the world of game development, and are finding yourself lost?I am also a beginner, whose here to get lost-and find his way back-for you. Check out my blog You will(hopefully) learn bunches, alongside me.*Last update: 1/1/10*New Theme!
Quote:Original post by Bluecroc
I am interested in developing some video games. Who can I hire to produce a video game for me? Are there any development studios that will do this type of work? If you can help me out with this I would really appreciate it.

Hello Blue,
I assume you are a millionaire.
Before you approach any developers (I can tell you where they are, but this is important first), you have to have the following things in place:

1. Have your game concept written down, like the other poster said.

2. Have an NDA ready - a Non-Disclosure Agreement. Don't tell anyone your game concept until you have gotten a signed NDA.

3. Have at least a rough business plan. You need to outline (at the very least) what process you expect to go through with your idea. What is your target platform - video game console? PC? Cell phone? Once the game is developed, what is your anticipated sales model - CD through bricks & mortar? Online download? Self-publish, or mainstream publishing deal?

4. Be prepared for rejection. Professional developers like your money just fine, but they may not want to work for someone who is totally clueless about how the industry works. You might need to hire a professional to produce the project for you. If you can convince one to work for you. There are enough headaches in making a game, without also having to educate a rich clueless person to boot.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

I am sorry thatI was not very specific before. It does sound like I am a millionaire trying to hire someone to do all I want, but that is not tha case. For tha past year I have been developing some training videos for some clients of mine. For these we have developed some 3d models to enhance the learning experience. My client recently aked me if it was possible to make these videos similar to videogames, since they want people to be able to practice and train what they have learned from these videos. So, what I am looking for is for someone who I could approach to develope these short videogames. I am not very familiar with videogame production, but I assume that it would be possible to use the 3d models we have in our library to develop[e these videogames.
Quote:Original post by Bluecroc
I am sorry thatI was not very specific before. It does sound like I am a millionaire trying to hire someone to do all I want, but that is not tha case. For tha past year I have been developing some training videos for some clients of mine. For these we have developed some 3d models to enhance the learning experience. My client recently aked me if it was possible to make these videos similar to videogames, since they want people to be able to practice and train what they have learned from these videos. So, what I am looking for is for someone who I could approach to develope these short videogames. I am not very familiar with videogame production, but I assume that it would be possible to use the 3d models we have in our library to develop[e these videogames.

Then I hope you have hundreds of thousands of dollars in your budget. After you have done steps 1, 2, and 3, you can find game developers all over the world. You will find hundreds of game developers if you use the links at http://www.sloperama.com/advice/links.html#LISTINGS

Upon re-reading your question, it sounds to me like what you might need to do is learn how to build interactive training programs yourself. Read this website's FAQs, read up on engines and tools.
But if you do decide to try to hire a developer, please heed my previous advice to know in advance exactly what you want.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement