OpenGL 3.2 on 8600M GS

Started by
16 comments, last by Black Knight 14 years, 7 months ago
Hey, After the releases of 3.0,3.1 and 3.2 I decided to play around with GL again.At the moment I don't have a desktop computer so I'm stuck with a acer notebook with geforce 8600m gs card.The driver from acers site is from 2007 and the latest beta drivers from nvidias site don't even install.The nvidia control panel says I have 186.81 and OpenGL Extension viewer says I have full support for OGL 3.0 50% support for 3.1 and only 33% for OGL 3.2. So am I stuck with 3.0 with this card? A sample application I found on the net returns 3 for major and 0 for minor version.
Advertisement
well since the drivers are from 2007 + ogl3.2 came out this year, thats no surprise.
laptops are a PITA since laptop makers infrequently update the official drivers, have a google I believe there are hackish ways to get latest nvidia drivers installed
I found a website which uses modified .inf files to install normal drivers for laptop cards.I will try it and see if it works.
I was able to create a 3.1 context with the following code :

int attribs[] =    {        WGL_CONTEXT_MAJOR_VERSION_ARB, major,        WGL_CONTEXT_MINOR_VERSION_ARB, minor, 		WGL_CONTEXT_FLAGS_ARB, WGL_CONTEXT_FORWARD_COMPATIBLE_BIT_ARB,// | WGL_CONTEXT_DEBUG_BIT_ARB,		//WGL_CONTEXT_PROFILE_MASK_ARB, WGL_CONTEXT_CORE_PROFILE_BIT_ARB, //0x9126 , 0x00000001,		0    };	PFNWGLCREATECONTEXTATTRIBSARBPROC wglCreateContextAttribsARB = NULL;	wglCreateContextAttribsARB = (PFNWGLCREATECONTEXTATTRIBSARBPROC) wglGetProcAddress("wglCreateContextAttribsARB");	if(wglCreateContextAttribsARB != NULL)	{		m_hrc = wglCreateContextAttribsARB(pDC->m_hDC,0, attribs);	}		const	GLubyte* errorString = gluErrorString(glGetError());		TRACE("error %d\r\n",errorString) ;

But if I uncomment WGL_CONTEXT_PROFILE_MASK_ARB the wglCreateContextAttribsARB returns 0 but glGetError doesnt return any errors.I don't even know if wglCreateContextAttribsARB generate an error code for glGetError to catch.Anyways looks like I will be stuck with 3.1.
Quote:Original post by Black Knight
But if I uncomment WGL_CONTEXT_PROFILE_MASK_ARB the wglCreateContextAttribsARB returns 0 but glGetError doesnt return any errors.I don't even know if wglCreateContextAttribsARB generate an error code for glGetError to catch.Anyways looks like I will be stuck with 3.1.

Although specification claims that WGL_CONTEXT_PROFILE_MASK_ARB is ignored in earlier version, it is simply not true. You have probably saw my comment (in red) what happens if you try to use it on pre-GL 3.2 contexts.
(http://sites.google.com/site/opengltutorialsbyaks/introduction-to-opengl-3-2---tutorial-01).

Returning zero is a signal that context has not been created. There was no errors in GL rendering context, so it is assumable that glGetError() returns zero.

190.62 are the latest drivers (with modified INF file) you can install on 8600M GT. And, yes, currently you have to deal "only" with GL 3.1.

Is it possible that a newer driver will enable support for opengl 3.2?
Quote:Original post by Black Knight
Is it possible that a newer driver will enable support for opengl 3.2?

It is exactly what you've experienced! :)
OpenGL 3.2 is enabled in 190.57, but those are beta drivers. Although I have find no errors in them.

The same thing happened with GL 3.1. It was enabled in drivers released in April, but disables in all later releases until June.

The conclusion is obvious, the greater number (and newer drivers) does not mean more functionality! :)
nVidia announced the beta GL3.2 on the opengl forum when GL3.2 was unveiled; You can get the newest ones from http://developer.nvidia.com/object/opengl_3_driver.html . 190.57 are possibly perfect with GL3.2 (190.56 had VAO issues, were quickly replaced), as they've been up for quite some time.
Check back that page at times, as it's the official place for beta GL drivers.
Quote:Original post by idinev
Check back that page at times, as it's the official place for beta GL drivers.

The latest official drivers for 8600M are 186.81.

The latest drivers with modified INF file are 190.64 (www.laptopvideo2go.com)

190.57 cannot be installed on notebooks without modification of INF file!

So the G80 cards support extensions like seamless cube maps et,but they are not supported by the driver yet.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement