Start with directx9 or 10??

Started by
3 comments, last by bubu LV 14 years, 7 months ago
I looked around and apparently the best book i can use is : Introduction to 3D Game Programming with DirectX 9.0c: A Shader Approach And i found some online tutorials (directxtutorial.com)... I read here that it has some bad code and doesn't return values or whatever, well i can't find other tutorials just as good so im sticking with it, unless you can give me a link to a good one? So, should i start with this book and tutorials for directx9 or go for directx10? if so, any book or tutorial recommendation?
"Spending your life waiting for the messiah to come save the world is like waiting around for the straight piece to come in Tetris...even if it comes, by that time you've accumulated a mountain of shit so high that you're fucked no matter what you do. "
Advertisement
There are more tutorials for directx 9. In my opinion, you should start with directx 9 because of this and then convert your code to directx 10 afterwards which shouldn't be too hard
I think you shouldn't touch DX10 while you don't know what DX9 offers and how to use it because... there's no DX10 (the homemade crap doesn't count) on XP and on X360. So you'll have to use D3D9 for at least a few years anyway and if people won't stop using XP and X360, maybe even more. (If you'll like game development a lot, you might have a chance to work with X360)
Also, DX10 doesn't have so many useful features and DX10's SDK samples don't work properly even now (on HD4850, newest drivers, August 2006 SDK)

directxtutorial.com might not have the perfect tutorials but they can actually learn something. ;)
Btw, if you want better results, you can look up every function you use in the DX SDK's documentation and read everything about it - it's ok if it doesn't make sense in the first time you read it, but it will stay in your memory and might even help you track down some bugs later.
DirectX 10 has alot of 2D stuff. So its easier to get going with if you want to make 2D games. And with the release of windows 7 approaching its gonna be a bit more lucerative to learn. And i think it would be good with a bit of diversity out on the market. We at my school has already gotten it through academic alliance(dunno why) and it rocks.

What i would do is to read a tutorial on both and choose the one that you think is the easiest.

I thought xbox360 had directx10 but i was wrong. Does directx9 have XInput then?

Alot of new cool stuff. like if you throw a window att the top of the screen it becomes fullscreen. And you can also do that with the sides, but then it becomes halfscreen. Can also bind stuff from your start menu to ctrl+number.

Video Game Programmer.
5 years in industry.

Quote:Original post by snake5
Also, DX10 doesn't have so many useful features and DX10's SDK samples don't work properly even now

What's the hell? I never heard complains from anybody about SDK samples not working. They work for me and any other people I know.

Quote:(on HD4850, newest drivers, August 2006 SDK)

Maybe that's your problem - 2006 is like 3 years ago!

I suggest learning DX10. XP anyway is past with Windows7 coming. DX10 API is cleaner and simpler comparing to DX9 because latter has backward compatibility (with such features as FFP which nowadays are not used anymore by any moder GPU for a long long time already). And DX11 API is very similar to DX10 and allows to use DX9 hardware if that is of any concern.

Quote:Original post by Net-Ninja
I thought xbox360 had directx10 but i was wrong. Does directx9 have XInput then?

XInput can be used independently from Direc3D. It can be used even with OpenGL apps.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement