Using C?

Started by
7 comments, last by hughiecoles 14 years, 7 months ago
I C a good game programming language if i was to learn it? like would it also have GUI support and is there developer kits out there for C like xna for C#? or something like that? or should i go with something else?
Advertisement
C is very low level. You can write GUI based applications in it, but not with the ease you would in more modern, higher level languages. I don't know if there is something like XNA freely available for C, but I don't know of one.

Should you go with something else? That depends entirely on you. If you know C very well then make games in C. If you haven't learned C yet, I would advise you to consider C# or Python as two higher level languages that have great library support for making games.
I have &#106avascript and php basics (i knew about a year ago) but i understand programming terms and stuff but i don't know a langauge. so I was wondering if C/C++ would be good or something else? i was looking at something easy but strong. so if i could get some help. I already looked at the beginners guides couple hundred times but i still don't know every language that can be used for games
Most languages can be used for writing games. For example, here is a tutorial about writing pong in &#106avascript written by one of the posters on these forums.

Given your experience with PHP and &#106avascript, I think Python would be a good choice for you.
I know you said python but what about PASCAL? could it be decent?
Quote:Original post by rip-off
I think Python would be a good choice for you.
I agree, and Python is great for making games.

I found an old download of a barebones (read: unfinished [rolleyes]) snake game I wrote in Python which you may feel free to take a look at (although I'm sure there are lots of Python games you can download and disect). You'll need Pyglet to run it (I assume there have been no breaking changes made to the libary which affect the game) and it should work fine under Python 2.6.2, the best version for game development I believe, until libraries catch up to Python 3.x at least.

Once I'd tested out the syntax of various constructs in IDLE, such as if-statements, for-loops, dictionaries etc. I dived straight in and made that, it was the first program I wrote in Python which I think is a testament to how refreshingly comfortable it is developing something in Python.
Quote:Original post by homebrew
I know you said python but what about PASCAL? could it be decent?
Pascal is old, AFAIK it survives today as Delphi. You can make games with Delphi, it's not the most mainstream language in the world though.
Just to illustrate the point that you can write good games in almost any language, Soldat was written in Delphi.
Just go with C#/XNA, a bunch of the languages mentioned in this post have very little support for game development, and make a difficult task even harder, like honestly, Pascal? Comon now.

I'm a C++ guy, but C# is much easier to learn, and XNA is such a damn pretty and easy development suite, the combination of C#/XNA, or python/pygame are the easiest while still learning valuable programming skills, and at this point those are the most important things for you.
--------------------------------------Not All Martyrs See Divinity, But At Least You Tried

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement