Sign in to follow this  
V-man

Super comment

Sometimes in a block of C++ code, I have the /* */ and sometimes I want to comment all of the code so if I put another /* */, it becomes a headache. example
zfunction()
{
/*thing
thing
thing
if(ypasdafsdf)
{  thing
  /*thing
   thing*/
}
thing
thing
thing*/
}

Is there a solution to this?

Or use // comments. In a good IDE or editor, you should be able to select the text you want to comment, and then press some key combination to //-ify it.

Personally, I never understood why they made /* */ not nestable. I can understand that in the 70's in the C programming language they might have done it to make the parser of the code a bit more efficient. But I don't understand that other curly brace language, like Java, followed this and still don't allow nesting /* */ comments...

zfunction()
{
/*thing
thing
thing
if(ypasdafsdf)
{ thing
/*thing
thing*//*
}
thing
thing
thing*/
}

Closest I could get to a solution. I personally only use /**/ for header comments and use // to comment out code (it can be a PITA to do manually, but it's better than dealing with nested /**/ comments).

I hate GD.net's forum software, could someone tell my how to post code in code tags? I tried but the above is what happens.

Quote:
Original post by Lode
Or use // comments. In a good IDE or editor, you should be able to select the text you want to comment, and then press some key combination to //-ify it.

Personally, I never understood why they made /* */ not nestable. I can understand that in the 70's in the C programming language they might have done it to make the parser of the code a bit more efficient. But I don't understand that other curly brace language, like Java, followed this and still don't allow nesting /* */ comments...

It can't be represented with a regular expression that way, so the lexical analyzer becomes more complicated. C# allows nesting I believe, but in a language that operates on design-by-committee, it's really hard to get anything changed.

To the OP, if you're using Visual Studio, highlight everything and hit Ctrl+K C

Some C compilers allow comment nesting, although that was non-standard behaviour. I doubt any major compiler still does it, at least by default.

But yeah, if you want to disable code that contains that kind of comments, use #ifdef 0 ... #endif. It also has the additional advantage that it can be nested!

Quote:
Original post by cache_hit
Quote:
Original post by Lode

It can't be represented with a regular expression that way, so the lexical analyzer becomes more complicated. C# allows nesting I believe, but in a language that operates on design-by-committee, it's really hard to get anything changed.

To the OP, if you're using Visual Studio, highlight everything and hit Ctrl+K C

#if 0 is good but your Ctrl+K C is nice as well. It works in VC++ 2008 Express.
May I ask how did you learn about the Ctrl+K C?
Is it in the menu?

Quote:
Original post by _moagstar_
Quote:
Original post by Firestryke31
I hate GD.net's forum software, could someone tell my how to post code in code tags? I tried but the above is what happens.

Take a look at this sticky thread which has some useful information on source tags.

Plus of course the dreaded FAQs: FAQ on tags.

Even if there were nested comments, for code I'd still prefer #if 0 ... #endif because the IDE still treats the contents as code, so you get all the auto-indentation, Intellisense, special features like refactoring, etc. Otherwise it's just a blob of text and a nightmare to do anything with.

Quote:
Original post by Zipster
Even if there were nested comments, for code I'd still prefer #if 0 ... #endif because the IDE still treats the contents as code, so you get all the auto-indentation, Intellisense, special features like refactoring, etc. Otherwise it's just a blob of text and a nightmare to do anything with.

Note that there is also the alternative of commenting out sourecode by using "if(false) {}", in case you want to comment out code, but at the same time you want the stuff inside conserve over a longer time without deprecation, or just to escape language standard issues with indendation of preprocessor statements. About indendation, I think the only sanctioned way to do indendation is as follows:

#if xxx
# if yyy
# define foo bar
# endif
#endif

with the #'s always being the first character on the line.

Update:
Quote:
ISO/IEC 9899:TC2, 6.10.2 (C99 TC2)
Apreprocessing directive consists of a sequence of preprocessing tokens that begins with a # preprocessing token that (at the start of translation phase 4) is either the first character in the source file (optionally after white space containing no new-line characters) or that follows white space containing at least one new-line character, and is ended by the next new-line character.

Which is identical in ISO/IEC 14882:2003(E), 16.1 (C++ 2003), so it is sanctioned by the Holy Standards of C99 and C++2003 to write:

int main () {
#if xxx
#if yyy
#define foo bar
#endif
#endif
}

Even if MSVC will bully it away by default.

[Edited by - phresnel on September 14, 2009 5:41:23 AM]