Compiling on Vista-64bit

Started by
3 comments, last by dmatter 14 years, 7 months ago
I am having trouble compiling with Visual Studio Express 2008 on Vista-64bit. I read that I must configure VS to compile for 64-bit but I did not have this option because that option is only available with the commercial version. I found this on how:
Quote:64-bit tools are not available on Visual C++ Express Edition by default. To enable 64-bit tools on Visual C++ Express Edition, install the .NET Framework SDK in addition to Visual C++ Express Edition. Otherwise, an error occurs when you attempt to configure a project to target a 64-bit platform using Visual C++ Express Edition.
from MSDN Just I haven't a clue what it's telling me to do. The compiler builds the application and everything without errors but I get this error message when I try to run the program: "The application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Review the application manifest files for possible errors." and I get this error message if I try to run it manually: "The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect." I'm using the 2008 version if that makes a difference.
Here to learn :)
Advertisement
Do you have the latest .NET Framework SDK (x64) installed? Most current appears to be v2.0.
Your post doesn't make it clear what you *need*, so ignore the rest of this post if you already know this:

You can run 32-bit apps on 64-bit windows, but 64-bit apps will not run on 32-bit windows.

Is there a specific reason you need to make a 64-bit version of your app, or would 32-bit be good enough?
Sorry for my post ambiguity.

I having trouble getting my compiled applications to run on Vista 64-bit.
I am compiling them on the machine with Vista 64-bit but they don't run; I get the error messages in the first post.

So yes, a 32-bit version would be good enough I think; as long as my program runs I am happy.

[EDIT]
Okay, I thought this was happening for anything I compiled but I just compiled a hello world program and it ran. I think it may have something to do with Win32.
Here to learn :)
Quote:Original post by MrPickle
I am having trouble compiling with Visual Studio Express 2008 on Vista-64bit.

I read that I must configure VS to compile for 64-bit
You don't need to unless you want to exclusively target a 64-bit environment. If you're happy building 32-bit apps, and you probably have little reason not to be, then you don't need to change the default configuration. If you have changed anything then you've probably told VS to try and build a 64-bit application but you don't have the necessary tools to make it work.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement