A few game maker 7 questions

Started by
3 comments, last by Shadowstriker 14 years, 7 months ago
So I followed the advice I got here and downloaded game maker 7 again. I've been experimenting with it a little and tryed to understand some basics. But a lot of it is a little confusing.So does anyone know where I can find the basics explained, like what the different functions/tabs stand for exactly.I have seen tutorials on youtube but they are mostly very fast and leave me with questions. Or if somebody expirienced with GM 7 wouldn't mind helping me out and writing down explanations for the basics and how to do what (just the basic stuff). Now I am learning to program with the goal to one day make my dream game wich is a mix of RTS and RPG so what kind of games should I try to make now. Should I make an 2d platformer when I want my goal game to be 3d, so should I try 3d right away. I'm failing to understand some basics, I know how to make sprites objects and backgrounds and then putting them i a room. But how do I make rooms bigger I mean in a way that the room is bigger not the objects smaller like when you move forward in the room you get to explore it and don't see it all at once. I know how to make the character move and collidewith objects. Altough the collision doesn't alwys work well. So could someone explain collision too. Why does the character sometimes fall into some objects, does the character has to be solid like the objects ? How important is size, if the character object is 32 width and length do the objects have to be also 32 or 16/8/64 ? BTW does that mean that the character is 32 pixels or just a messure for size ? And what are variables ? And how do I make different screens, like a starting screen. And how do I make objects in which you can go to. Like a house when you come to the door you get inside of it. I guess the house is a obnject and has a function that a new room opens when you get to the door and press the button to get in (or go automaticaly in). I know this stuff can probably be found out by myself, but I tought why not get a little help from people who have been in my position to speed up my progress. Thank you a ton for your help and sorry for typing mistakes since i don't know how to activate spell checker.
Advertisement
Did you try the tutorials on the Game Maker website?
Yes I made the first catch the clown game. Then I started the maze game, didn't finish it and tryed the scroling shooter game. I don't remember why but I stoped that too, then tryed the platform game and that was to complicated for me.
You're right I first should just make the games in the tutorial one by one and ask if I have a particular question about one of those, when I'm stuck.
I guess I got to greedy and wanted to make cool games right away.
So yeah as soon as I get home I'll get my ass back to the tutorials.
I just got lost in trying to make cool effects and trying out different options instead of picking up the basics first.
I have used gamemaker 7 somewhat but used gamemaker 5 and 6 for quite a while and I think it is a great tool to get the hang of programming especially if using the GML (coding part) of gamemaker and not D&D. I would be glad to give you some help and answer questions, send me a pm :).
Blekinge Institute of Technology
Twitter [twitter]devmoon[/twitter]
Homepage http://devmoon.se
Stream http://twitch.tv/devmoon
Thank you Hunter_Ex, as soon as I'm stuck again in one of the tutorials I'll post the questions in this thread.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement