learning the basics of windows with c?

Started by
6 comments, last by dmatter 14 years, 7 months ago
greetings, i am a college student who is currently learning java and has a real minor background in programming with C(all i really needed was the basics of C for programming our robot for a club). I am fascinated with computers and learning new things about them. Yesterday i went to the college library and found a book called Programming Windows®, Fifth Edition. It was a really thick book with some worn pages(The book can be found also at http://www.amazon.com/Programming-Windows%C2%AE-Fifth-Microsoft/dp/157231995X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1252772630&sr=8-1). It seems like an interesting book and it says it uses C to teach the basics of windows programming and other things about windows. Is this a good book for learning the basics of C with windows. Thanks
Advertisement
This book is very good for learning the Win32 API basics. It's pretty much the gold standard.
Petzold is a good book for learning the basics of Windows with C (not C++).
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man
Quote:Original post by robertosaget
Is this a good book for learning the basics of C with windows.
Sure. Programming windows applications in C is rarely done anymore, though.

The Win32 API is all C based so that is probably pretty much why that book is based on C instead of trying to wrap it all up in C++. If you want to directly learn Win32 that book is probably your best bet. I still dig mine out from time to time. But in todays world there is no sense to really be bothering with Win32 directly. If you are wanting to do Windows GUI programming then C# with .NET is going to be much easier to get things going. If you really want to stick with C you might take a look at MFC. Its a wrapper on Win32 to make it a bit easier to get around.
Greetings again,

The only two languages that i have some proficiency in and what we are learning in college are java and c. Do you think it would be a better idea to use swing and java to create windows because it is rarely done anymore with c. I am not really familiar with c#. I hear it is like java from my professor. Would using C# be a faster and more efficient than java? I have seen it mentioned in this thread.

Thanks

PS: I DONT want to start a which language is best war.

[Edited by - robertosaget on September 12, 2009 3:08:39 PM]
Java and C# are both acceptable languages for GUI application development.
Quote:Original post by robertosaget
Do you think it would be a better idea to use swing and java to create windows because it is rarely done anymore with c.
Absolutely. Java is used to make lots of GUI applications.

Quote:I am not really familiar with c#. I hear it is like java from my professor. Would using C# be a faster and more efficient than java?
C# has enough similarities with Java that you could probably transition fairly painlessly. There's no reason to think that C# would be faster and more efficient in a GUI application over Java though. I assume Java programmers have a harder time playing with some of the cooler widgets that C# programmers have available to them, but that isn't a very well-founded statement in my behalf.

If you already know how to use Swing to make GUIs and your goal here is to learn new things, then I recommend getting to grips with C# and Visual Studio. In my humble opinion it's a nicer language than Java anyway [smile].

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement