My approach to Rpg development- Advice would be much appreciated

Started by
2 comments, last by Captain P 14 years, 7 months ago
This is my first post on the site so i do apologize if it is slightly crude. I have self taught myself C++, and created a console application RPG. I walked into a game company, in hind sight quite naively for a summer freelancing as a game-play programmer, and was told to come back with it 3D. To stop myself before i get too chatty, started working with the Light feather engine, an opengl engine, got to proper development after tutorials and found it is slightly incomplete in areas. Anyway talked to a member of the lionhead team, told me to move to the direct x engine that have everything pre-built so i could just code in the game play. What i would like as an end result is to be able have my character (hopefully find a model on the net), walk around a textured terrain (i have enough experience with DirectX 10 to do this, i have done some previously) have random battles with my monster(hopefully models again) using a timer (Ctime Rand library is what i currently use) and able to bring up a menu and save system. Oh buy weapons from random guy in terrain (already made code for the shop) This was the plan to: 1. Expand the monster classes(enemy groups already created) and move them to XML. 2. Then start working with 3D engine. 3. Top down approach design- title, then terrain 4. Bring improve game-play into the 3d engine 5. Get a Base working 6. Then working expand It seems good to me, but i feel that there are holes. Any advice would be much appreciated? Also if you know of a game engine can you tell me about it? I have tried irrichlict, orge 3d but felt they were slight overwhelming when i first started, having other views on it would be a great value. Some once told me to script lua for the battle system, can someone expand on this for me? Thanks
Advertisement
I can't pick out of your post where you are in your ability, I mean you throw things like Lua scripting and XML in there, and talk about having the code for a shop, but where are you on your ability to render things to the screen, load models, generate terrain, etc...?

Correct me if I'm wrong, it just seems like you're trying to build a house while ignoring the foundation.
--------------------------------------Not All Martyrs See Divinity, But At Least You Tried
Quote:Original post by gaming_enthusiast
walk around a textured terrain (i have enough experience with DirectX 10 to do this, i have done some previously)

I don't think was clear enough in this extract, Using dx10 i can create .fx files, for basic caustic water, i can load models and texture them, give them world space co-ordinates, culling, use height maps. I have used XML already just need to apply it game development. No experience using Lua that is why i asked about it implementation for a battle system.

If I were you, I'd first build some prototypes for the areas you're unfamiliar with. Experiment with integrating Lua into a C++ program, see how that works. Once you've tried it, you'll have a better idea of how to apply it to your game.

So, yeah, split things up, keep things simple, take on the important parts first. A graphics tech demo is not a game - there's more to it than that, as you're discovering now. :)

As for using an existing engine, being able to get familiar with one is an important skill. If you find Ogre 3D or Irrlicht overwhelming, you may want to take a look at them again, and follow some tutorials/articles on setting them up. It can take some time to get started with a 'foreign' library, but it's good to get experience with that, and it can save you development time (assuming you've picked a solid engine).
Create-ivity - a game development blog Mouseover for more information.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement