• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
mgph

OpenGL what should I do after the first experience

This topic is 3382 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I've finished the book "Beginning OpenGL Game Programming 2nd Edition" and realized that most from the OpenGL Graphics Library package 4th edition that I thought would be reference, are deprecated in 3.2 (and in future) but I bought already, what can I do ? :( Anyway, would you mind asking your suggestion that what should I do after this book ? I still feel like being a newbie and want to have some more knowledge to get solid foundation in OpenGL and GLSL. Or should I start creating games using real world game engines like Torque? I just wanna get some ideas from people who are much more smarter, like you guys :)

Advertisement
I'm in this same situation, but I heard that, it's better when I'll learn GLSL. I was decided to do that. Now, I'm a newbie in shaders, but I know more. Now shaders is the best way to programming in 3D, so why you won't learn this? For example this tutorial is great:
http://www.lighthouse3d.com/opengl/glsl/

And you should read a documentation. There is a lot of important things.

You can even now start applying what you've learnt. The book doesn't cover only character-animation (skin-meshes) from what is needed to make a game. OpenGL is a tool with many faces, with technology that spans a decade. You can mix bleeding-edge techniques with ancient ones, so you really don't need GLSL/stuff to make something useful.
I'd say - do as me - and read everything on the net about GL and DX and graphics and console-APIs, but I got away with it as I'm a fast reader. So, to let us point you to a good direction, describe your situation a bit more - what you want to do with OpenGL.
- just make some game, not heavy on "eyecandy"? - start making that game, and read tutes+info when you get stuck somewhere. Don't worry about performance and eyecandy, just make the thing playable.
- research shiny pixels? - In a GL2.1 context just whip-up code, mixing FFP and GLSL in any way you see fit. PCF shadowmaps and post-processing effects (motion-blur, depth of field, HDR) are a start.
- research optimization - to push as many objects, triangles, textures and glXX commands as possible? - start studying in a _pure_ GL3.1 or GL3.2 context, no FFP. Use IHV-specific extensions when available and useful. Do measure cpu-cycles (RDTSC) and gpu-counters; study articles on how specific modern hardware works internally.
- searching for a possible gamedev job after 2+ years? GL3.2 , brush-up your matrix/quaternion/etc maths, study the 3 paths above (making a game, shiny pixels, optimization); see how some engines work and what interface they have, learn to get easily accustomed to a 3rd party engine; study the artists' pipeline and try to make importers/exporters from 3dsMax and Maya; some scripting for those modelers. Keep an eye on DX gamedev, too - almost all ideas and techniques from there are possible and easily mapped to GL

- finally, I hope you're not on an Intel gpu. An nVidia card is best for widest-spectrum of GL paths, an ATi Radeon HD2X00+ is suitable for portable GL3.X (nVidia drivers are not strict, and permit deviating from the specs - nice to simply research for yourself, but horror to let ATi users run into the hidden bugs).

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!